Serial number not valid???

dkgross

soo..I got to open Logic on my Laptop today...and I get the 'please enter your serial number' dialog box?? I snag my Logic Studio Getting Started manual with the peel and stick Logic Studio Seiral number affixed and type in the number.

"Invalid Serial Number' error. Logic no workee. WTF?? Been working just fine. yes..I did the 10.6.3 update..but it HAS been working just fine since then.

Any .plist files or something I can trash to start over???

Yes..I triple checked to make sure I was typing it in correctly. Even got out the stronger reading glasses to be safe :)

-

[EDIT from admin: do NOT delete the file as instructed here, rather move it to your desktop so you can retrieve it if necessary]

Hi Dave

Try moving this file for Logic to the desktop (Do Not Trash it!):

/Library/Application Support/ProApps/ProAppsSystemID

Then enter the correct serial again when asked...

Have you run Software Update and made sure Logic is completely up to date?

Edited by Rounik

Try deleting the serial file for Logic:

/Library/Application Support/ProApps/ProAppsSystemID

DO NOT DELETE THAT FILE!

In certain circumstances, deleting that file may ruin your Logic install, forcing you to reinstall Logic.

If you want to experiment, move the file to your desktop, so you can always place it back where it was.

You can read more about this in the following thread. Just trying to warn anyone reading those instructions to delete that file so they're not stuck with an install that no longer works!

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=275470

The big risk is to be stuck with the following alert:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/files/picture_1_1.png

Thanks David! Please feel free to delete my post above - or could you edit my advice to "move the file to desktop and DON'T trash it!'

Either way, hopefully anyone coming across this thread will now know NOT TO DELETE that FILE...!

:)

thanks all...Seems like my Serial Numbers are ok...I had to not only enter the ## from my Logic 9 Upgrade, but also my original Logic 8 #...Once I did that, it all seems to be working fine now....Bizzare..

and no..I didn't delete any of the files mentions...Moved some to the desktop, but not the crictial one everyone imploded about :)

thanks for the help..Not sure what caused the issue tho..but it's back to working again..

yeah...Apple support gave me the 'I have no idea why it happened' speech..but there's nothing listed other than my main two installs (laptop and production machine". Could have been a 10.6.3. thing..could have been space aliens.

For a brief moment, I thought "maybe I shouldn't do the latest updates so quickly'...

Then I woke up.

:D

-

could have been space aliens.

More than likely. Any other explanation requires too much conjecture and thought. Space aliens did it. See? Done!

For a brief moment, I thought "maybe I shouldn't do the latest updates so quickly'...

Then I woke up.

You know I luvs ya, but you ARE the guinea pig's guinea pig.

[high munchkin voice 1] Hey, there's a new update!

[high munchkin voice 2] Yeah, looks yummy. Wanna try it?

[high munchkin voice 1] Nah, not yet. Let's call Dave first.

(sound of phone dialing, ringing)

[Dave] Wassssssssup?????!!!!???

[high munchkin voice 1] Hey... Dave... there's a new update. Wanna give it a go?

[high munchkin voice 2] Yeah, yeah, yeah! Wanna give it a go? Huh? Huh? Wanna give it a go? Huh? Huh? Huh?

[Dave] I'm like sooo on this already. I'll ping you guys later and letcha know if it's happenin' or not.

[high munchkin voice 1] Great, thanks Dave.

[high munchkin voice 2] Yeah, thanks a lot Dave, thanks a lot. A real lot. I mean... thanks a....

[high munchkin voice 1] Calm down Chester, just calm down!

[high munchkin voice 2] Sorry...

:mrgreen:

"Invalid Serial Number' error. Logic no workee.

Something that would probably fix this is to revert to a backup of your ProAppsSystemID file. If this strange problem ever pops up again, you could try that. And this might be a good moment to make sure that file is backed up somewhere. You could even keep a backup copy somewhere else on your main drive. I think your main copy of this file got damaged somehow.

hopefully anyone coming across this thread will now know NOT TO DELETE that FILE...!

As explained in the other thread (in a comment here), the nasty corefoundationunknownerr problem just seems to hit people who are using 10.5 with Logic 9.1 (or later, possibly). So those are the people who should be especially careful about this issue. And the comment I just cited explains what they need to do if they run into that problem. They wouldn't need to do a full Logic reinstall, but they might need to grab a copy of 9.0.0, 9.0.1 or 9.0.2 from somewhere (like from their Logic install disk). That is, if they didn't have a backup of their ProAppsSystemID file.

But I think it's always a good idea to do such tests in a reversible way, i.e., by moving a file to the desktop (or some similarly convenient location), instead of literally trashing it. Moving it to the desktop tells you what you need to know, and there's nothing gained by doing such a test in a non-reversible manner.

:shock:

But... but... but... Dave fixed the problem already. And it's been explained that removing that file is a bad thing to do. And it's only in such rare circumstances that anyone needs to eff around with those files anyway. Hell, I wouldn't. I'd rather reinstall the whole shebang than mess with any of that stuff.

(Voice of Don Rickles) Ladies and gentlemen, I'll explain what's going on here. See, 45rpm subscribes to the maxim of "If it ain't broken, explain it and fix it more."

(OK, OK, just kidding) :roll:

images.jpg.44cac0aae201e5408e479a88bc52c4ba.jpg

• 3 years later...

I've got a similar problem, but I can't come any further than Application support since my Mac says there is no ProApps-folder. I deleted Logic Pro X before because I wanted to go back to 9, so I inserted the Logic Studio disc and installed it. Before starting it I updated it to 9.1.6 straight away, and now when I try to open Logic and type in the serial number from the manual it says "The serial number you entered is not valid.". Is it possible that I have to revert Logic back to 9.1.1 (which I think is the version you install from the disc, but no idea), start it and type in the serial number? Update it to 9.1.6 afterwards? If so, do I just 9.1.1 from http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1519?

Thanks in advance!