Error: internal situation???

Eric Wikman

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I get this message fairly regularly. It happens when I go into record (record toggle). But it will also appear occasionally when I play back the song right after making a new recording and hit SAVE while the song is playing. In the latter case it happens when I've got a pretty dense arrangement.

In two years of seeing this message, the worst thing that ever happened is that when I hit record, the message appeared and thus prevented that track from actually going into record. In other words, hitting the record toggle key (in my case, TAB) generated the error first, and that keystroke never registered with Logic to activate its "record code".

It's troubling that this error isn't explained anywhere, because it's clearly a sign that something's amiss. But as usual, there's no documentation on this and the many other error messages that Logic displays. But don't get me started on that one...

Based on my experience with this error message, I agree with Asher that it's not something to be worried about. But sure, it's a pain in the ass when it does show up, and I think an official explanation is in order as to what it means.

Thanks for that info Ski. I think I got the error after something similiar to what you describe here.

I use punch in on the fly almost all the time.

BTW, why can't I use punch on the fly while in cycle mode? It drops me out of recording on the next cycle everytime?

I have to start from a stopped state to cycle record?

Another punch on the fly issue I'm having about 25% of the time...

When I punch in... I get no audio. It goes into record, but it's almost as if I'm in solo mode. I have to stop the song, keep trying sometimes, and I can't figure out why.

...and the vocalist waits and waits...... (and sometimes loses the vibe)

Even though I love Logic's sound and included plugins... many people I work with see all these errors, and keep asking me why I swtiched from Cubase SX3.

Cycle mode does not allow you to record punch in audio on multiple passes, only on the first one, whether you use autodrop or punch on the fly.

When using punch on the fly, replace mode gives a monitoring-switch delay... I find it better to turn replace mode off for instant monitoring. Then I move the original recording to a duplicate track, then I move the individual punched-in regions one by one over the original recording, making sure I am in "No-overlap" drag mode (which I am always, always in).

I'm curious, how do you work with replace mode off when punching in/out on the fly? Do you use a similar technique to the one I described... or do you have a better way?

So when you say no audio playback... you mean the original recording drops in and out? Even if you're not punching at all? Or after you punch out... or when?

Cool, thanks for sharing your technique. I'm not sure how you edit/mute after the fact at exactly the same location of the punched part, but creating the additional track beforehand makes a lot of sense and will save me some time. Cool!

As for your problem... never had it, but it sucks. Wondering if it could have anything to do with your driver... what audio interface? Otherwise obviously the usual culprits for non-reproducible behaviors: preference or song corruption.