How much RAM?

japanarian

Currently, the RAM ceiling is 4GB, and that's an OSX limit. When Leopard is released, the Mac Pro will be fully 64 bit, which means the RAM ceiling will be raised. I'm not sure what the operating system's RAM limit will be. But currently, no Mac Pro can hold more than 16 GB.

Apple stresses that you must buy memory from them directly for a guaranteed compatibility, but few of us do. Crucial is a common site for Apple RAM.

I'll second what Plowman says when it comes to where you purchase your RAM. Crucial is where I get all of mine. OWC is good, too.

As for how much, I currently have 2GB in both my Macbook Pro and my G5 and have never really run into any issues when it comes to not having enough RAM. I guess it really depends on your workload and what you plan to do most with Logic. For me, 2GB has been plenty and has served me well.

Thanks guys. Any idea what the new RAM ceiling will be with Leopard? I think daisy-chaining might be an outdated term, but I guess I meant Logic's Distributed Audio Processing feature. Anyone have any experience with it? I might just go with a Macbook Pro for now(just to save a few pennies), and replace my Powerbook later on with a desktop setup.

GET 4 GIGS of ram then in 1 gig pairs so u dont fill up the slots, probably wont need to node the g4 powerbook with 3 ghz dual/quad g5 it wouldnt help that much any way as g4 is not as efficient as g5 and the distrubuted porocessing thang is tricky beast thats still got teething probs, i have 2 gogs of ram in a dual 2 ghz g5 and must get more as i do run out of ram, as some samples of multi sampled pianos cellos and stuff just gobble it all up, the more the better even if its not used ram makes the whole show run so much smoother

Malk

What Malk says totally applies when it comes to the amount of RAM you're going to need. Multisampled voices such as orchestral sounds will eat it up rather quickly. This is where it depends on what your use of Logic is going to be. Your use will determine how much RAM you really need.

Thanks to all who posted. I'm maxing out my 2gigs on my Powerbook, and at the moment it's in the shop(power problems...possibly due to third party RAM :s). Ideally I know I should get a Mac Pro and get as much RAM as I can afford, but that's a lot of cash right now and I was hoping the DAP would be a solution. But I'm getting the impression, it's not as ideal as it seemed at first. Anyway, thanks once again.

The J.