New MacBook announced today: no audio output!?

The new MacBook truly looks amazing, beautiful, etc... but... no audio output? How many of us are going to use wireless headphones? How about speakers? It used to be so quick and flexible to be able to connect the audio output into any device we wanted... as much as I loved the entire presentation about the new MacBook, when they announced that it would not feature an audio out connector, that was the deal breaker for me. I'm keeping my MacBook Air.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/03/09/apple-looks-to-reinvent-the-notebook-with-all-new-12-macbook-with-retina-display

We're pretty much an "Apple Household". We may not own the latest and greatest, but all of our computer and "smartphones" are Apple. The Bluetooth connections that we have between our Apple Smartphones and one 2-year-old Bluetooth speaker is not stable. It's great when they are paired together. It really sucks when the connection is lost, which is unpredictable when it happens. Maybe the 2015 models of Bluetooth speakers and smartphones hold better connections with each other. But I would not trust everything to work "as intended". It seems both scary and a poor business decision that Apple would forgo such a basic component as simple earphone connections in the new computers. (Thankfully our Apple "smartphones" have earphone connections, which are often used.)

Actually, Trevor's right. Look at the photos here: http://www.apple.com/macbook/design/

Or at the tech specs here: http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs/

That said, a production computer this ain't. Might be good for the day to day business work, though, and if it's got the umph to handle heavy MainStage sessions? At 2 pounds? Get outta here.

I thought I saw a headphone jack on the right side of it...

Oh good!! Thanks for that. Really changes my mind about this machine. I guess I reacted a bit fast. I stopped at the video showing the single power connector.

That said, a production computer this ain't.

Could be a great pre-production travel machine, and perfect for presentations, seminars and classes (although lately I've been lucky to have access to iMacs as presentation machines).

I'm really eyeing it for travel and business purposes, like I suggested and exactly like you outlined, David. Paperwork, invoicing clients, database management, presentations, etc. That space gray (grey?) model is sexy as all hell. While I love the look of the MBP, part of me was always disappointed I never got a PowerBook, mostly because I was too young at the time. The black MacBook wasn't necessary since I had the MBP; this could be my opportunity to own a basically all black Apple laptop.

I myself can't really justify a new purchase though, since my MacBook Air is fairly recent. I love that machine too, except for the fact that when you type text the cursor keeps jumping back to the top of the text... that's annoying as hell. (https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=macbook+cursor+jumping)

perfect for presentations, seminars and classes

Well scratch that idea. I don't want to have to use a dongle to connect to a projector!! If you've ever had to run to the nearest store to purchase an adapter at the last minute before a live event because you lost/forgot/broke the one you had, you know what I mean. :(

Interesting read: Why you won't be DJing with the new MacBook

So is this the death of Blunderbolt?

I'd heard a rumor (at the NAMM show) that Apple was going to give up Thunderbolt, so I'm not that surprised.

Anyway, I would say that if you want to connect your MacBook with wires, that particular model is not for you. Not for me at least. Too bad, I liked the shape, keyboard and trackpad.

The MacBook that was revealed at the keynote was not really news.

Mark Gurman announced it in early January and got almost everything right except the keyboard:

Apple’s next major Mac revealed: the radically new 12-inch MacBook Air | 9to5Mac

The striping of ports is nothing new either. We experience almost the exact same thing with the original MacBook Air in 2008 which had only one usb port one headphone and one micro DVI port, which also needed an adapter.

Apple did back-paddle out of that one as they did when they striped the first aluminium Unibody MacBook of the firewire port.

We'll see how this goes but my prediction is that they will face out the MacBook Air and replace it with new models of this machine. USB 3.1 is very capable and when the processor starts to catch up we will have a very good machine with or without ports.

These videos kill me!!!

The thing I see as a fallout of all this is that developers are going to have a tough time jumping in to new Apple directions, like Thunderbolt, in the future. It is really a credibility issue.

Imagine having spent the time and money to make your product Thunderbolt compatible, only to have the plug literally pulled.

...i'm sure apple won't ditch thunderbolt...this is the macbook and not the "pro" machine...the regular email web surfing guy doesn't need thunderbolt so they scratched it for the smaller formfactor...but i'm sure we'll see it in the new macbook pro's at the end of the year...

...i'm sure apple won't ditch thunderbolt...this is the macbook and not the "pro" machine...the regular email web surfing guy doesn't need thunderbolt so they scratched it for the smaller formfactor...but i'm sure we'll see it in the new macbook pro's at the end of the year...

Ah, of course you are correct, it isn't the MacBook Pro.

I just can't get enough of those videos.... :lol:

"He forgot to mill out the extra USB ports. No USB Ports... Steve Jobs would have fired us all the minute he would have picked up the laptop"

Classic! Best laugh I've had in a while. Now, I just can't wait to get my hands on the new Intel i2.5 15" MBP.

Hello...

I think that as the comp for the musical sketches (on the go), its not bad. I was going to buy it, but one thing that worries me a little, and it;s not USB... What do you think about LPX and this (mobile) processor ? It make sense ? I would like put some plugins like Sylenth, Spire etc, and audio samples. Refreshed Macbook Pro with Retina, more powerful processor, and better battery is nice option too, but it's bigger. Macbook 12 seems to be very comfortable, and its my priority, but as i wrote- that processor... What do you think ?