New MacBook and Minis

Right there with you on this man.. it will eventually reach a point where the only Macs capable of doing any serious work will be the expensive Mac Pros. I will consider changing platforms and using a PC by then, and hope/pray that my machines will continue working for many more years to come.

The future of Logic X on the other hand, is looking bright in my opinion, judging from the last few updates... at least it seems they're listening.

In general, I don't like Apple's overall current direction.. they seem to be more concerned with making watches, phones and tablets.

I believe you have to consider the optimization of osx for using the new Intel chips. Also we are not yet aware how really effective is the new CPU used in the new macbook. It reaches 2,6 with turbo boost which seems OK considering that I still work with a 2009 macbook pro with core2duo using 40-50 channels per project in Logic X without any problem.

What I mean is that there is a possibility where higher CPU clock is not necessary anymore for a typical Logic X project. I believe new computers will be quite effective inspite of the lower CPU. Apart from that new macbook is packed with 8 gb ram and 256-512 flash drive. Seems that it will do just fine...

I believe you have to consider the optimization of osx for using the new Intel chips. Also we are not yet aware how really effective is the new CPU used in the new macbook. It reaches 2,6 with turbo boost which seems OK considering that I still work with a 2009 macbook pro with core2duo using 40-50 channels per project in Logic X without any problem.

What I mean is that there is a possibility where higher CPU clock is not necessary anymore for a typical Logic X project. I believe new computers will be quite effective inspite of the lower CPU. Apart from that new macbook is packed with 8 gb ram and 256-512 flash drive. Seems that it will do just fine...

The Core M CPU was designed for tablets and smartphones.

Intel's response to Android and iPhone.

The quad i7 Mini was an anomaly for Apple, they outperformed dual core MacBook Pros, and iMacs.

Apple has restored the previous alignment, now the Mini's hardware is close to the Macbook Air.

I would be worried if they crippled Macbook Pros, and iMacs.

Not really worried about the entry level models.

8)

The quad i7 Mini was an anomaly for Apple, they outperformed dual core MacBook Pros, and iMacs.

Apple has restored the previous alignment, now the Mini's hardware is close to the Macbook Air.

I would be worried if they crippled Macbook Pros, and iMacs.

Not really worried about the entry level models.

The 2015 macbook is a glorified iphone. I seem remember Minis as being more powerful tham the Imac. But, maybe that's a mischaracterization. Though, I kept an eye on them for quite a while in hope of purchase. That is, until the recent 'downgrade' dissuaded me.

The MBP's have in fact been stripped- in that, you are now well into $2,000 for what I would consider decent performation. No 15" is under that and no 13" any longer has a quad core. Except fot the 21" Imac @ $1699, you can't get an Imac with an I7 processor under $2k. I'm siding with anp27 on this one: seems like entire entire mid market has been sucked out.

My point is that you may well make music with Logic X by using this “glorified iPhone”. Please consider that you do not really need a quad core machine for 50 or 60 channels with reverbs, delays etc in Logic X. At least my experience indicates that you can create music with much less, without any need to freeze channels nor facing any machine’s hiccup. I believe that there will be no point in the near future for large CPU or whatever else. My opinion is that everything will have to do with the OS implementation and code’s stability. Soon you will be able to make everything with your iPhone even, most probably. Please consider also that these machines, like the iPhone, have no moving parts, no hard discs, no fans etc, which makes the whole system really fast and responsive. Same goes for the headphone out quality which is anymore similar or even higher than the one of a dedicated audio interface, which will save you for sure one usb slot...I am also a minimalistic type, so i am happy to act with less and be creative...

Sorry but the Mac mini has never been more powerful than the iMac, the thing was that it was a very decent computer for anyone that did not need extensive graphics at the same time it was priced pretty low compared to a better iMac or MacBook Pro.

The 13 inch Mac Book has never sported a quad core either.

I have admittedly have been pulling alot of things from memory, so after checking, I will restate. Getting into an i7 processor for the 13" mbp still places you at $2000. And, the quad-core Intel Core i7 mac mini outperformed or equalled most iMacs until this last upgrade in the benchtests i have seen. By the time you got into the i7 on the imac's, you were several hundred dollars past the cost of the mini.

My point is that you may well make music with Logic X by using this “glorified iPhone”. Please consider that you do not really need a quad core machine for 50 or 60 channels with reverbs, delays etc in Logic X. At least my experience indicates that you can create music with much less, without any need to freeze channels nor facing any machine’s hiccup. I believe that there will be no point in the near future for large CPU or whatever else. My opinion is that everything will have to do with the OS implementation and code’s stability. Soon you will be able to make everything with your iPhone even, most probably. Please consider also that these machines, like the iPhone, have no moving parts, no hard discs, no fans etc, which makes the whole system really fast and responsive. Same goes for the headphone out quality which is anymore similar or even higher than the one of a dedicated audio interface, which will save you for sure one usb slot...I am also a minimalistic type, so i am happy to act with less and be creative...

Until tomorrow, I will still be on a core2duo, so I can't speak from experience regarding the new i5's, i7's. I seldom use Logic's software instruments, opting for third party plug-ins and VI's. And I often have to turn off compressors, reverbs, bounce tracks, etc. to keep the projects running. I haven't seen anyone suggest that the Air's or this 2015 macbook can run these type of projects or do 'real' work for that matter. Anyway, on my last two mbp's, I've gotten delays, beach balls on far less than 10 tracks.

I have admittedly have been pulling alot of things from memory, so after checking, I will restate. Getting into an i7 processor for the 13" mbp still places you at $2000. And, the quad-core Intel Core i7 mac mini outperformed or equalled most iMacs until this last upgrade in the benchtests i have seen. By the time you got into the i7 on the imac's, you were several hundred dollars past the cost of the mini.

That is a very accurate analysis.

The Mac mini was a real bargain for us into audio. I use one myself as my main machine. The thing I love the most about it, outside of the CPU specs, is the amount of ports.

It drives dual monitors, an 8 disk thunderbolt raid enclosure, two USB3 SSD's, a USB3 Blu.ray burner, a couple of MCU's, an audio interface connected via FireWire, and a bunch of MIDI controllers. Everything works flawlessly 24/7 which is pretty crazy when talking about computers.

Sorry but the Mac mini has never been more powerful than the iMac, the thing was that it was a very decent computer for anyone that did not need extensive graphics at the same time it was priced pretty low compared to a better iMac or MacBook Pro.

The 13 inch Mac Book has never sported a quad core either.

Until tomorrow, I will still be on a core2duo, so I can't speak from experience regarding the new i5's, i7's. I seldom use Logic's software instruments, opting for third party plug-ins and VI's. And I often have to turn off compressors, reverbs, bounce tracks, etc. to keep the projects running. I haven't seen anyone suggest that the Air's or this 2015 macbook can run these type of projects or do 'real' work for that matter. Anyway, on my last two mbp's, I've gotten delays, beach balls on far less than 10 tracks.

As wrote previously I also still use a 2009 3,06 core2duo, with a combination of SSD and hard drive. Logic X is running from the SSD of course. I use no third party plug ins. I have always been using only Logic's instruments and effects which 100% cover my needs for sound creation and production. Few audio channels and more midi ones. I go to 40-50 channels per project without any problem. Machine can go for more, I just stop it where I choose to...Thus I believe I can operate perfectly with the new MacBook. 2,6 turbo boost is certainly more powerful than my 6 years old core2duo...

As wrote previously I also still use a 2009 3,06 core2duo, with a combination of SSD and hard drive. Logic X is running from the SSD of course. I use no third party plug ins. I have always been using only Logic's instruments and effects which 100% cover my needs for sound creation and production. Few audio channels and more midi ones. I go to 40-50 channels per project without any problem. Machine can go for more, I just stop it where I choose to...Thus I believe I can operate perfectly with the new MacBook. 2,6 turbo boost is certainly more powerful than my 6 years old core2duo...

:lol:

Thank you, I did understand you the first time. As I wrote previously, every review and characterization of the 2015 Macbook that I have seen, places its functionality somewhere between an iPad and a Macbook Air.

Based on a few minutes of web browsing, typing my name over and over in a Pages document, and poking through Numbers, it seems like it’s up to the tasks for which it is clearly meant. It’s not for gaming, it’s probably not for editing video, but it does the basics really well. http://www.wired.com/2015/03/new-macbook-hands-on/
Indeed thanks to its use of a new Intel Core M processor it will actually be slower than the MacBook Air too. Instead performance will be more in line with a MacBook Air of three or four years ago - that's the compromise of a thinner, lighter, passively cooled machine.

Read more at http://www.trustedreviews.com/12-inch-macbook-2015-review#mXvkrP2l9uZIgx1R.99

Apple has shifted from Intel’s Core U-class processors in the Air to their Core-M (Y-class) processor in the MacBook. Intel’s lowest power Core processor design to date, Core-M is intended to be used in tablets and up, further driving the point that the MacBook is a tablet Mac in laptop form factor. http://www.anandtech.com/show/9076/apple-macbook-2015-handson

You have convinced yourself that it will run professional applications, that's perfectly fine with me. Good luck to anyone who decides to go in that direction.