Help! Akai MPD16 with Logic Platinum 6 on old PPC MacG4 book

monkeyweasel

yo, I know yr all pros and I'm still on wak Logic 6, but all the other user groups I can find get replies like once every 2 months, so could sum1 please help me here?

Ive had an akai MPD16 gathering dust for the last 4 years. Tried to work out how to use it when I 1st got it, but couldnt get my head round it, and in frustration havent touched it since.

Can sum1 explain 2 me - in idiot's terms - how u make the thing trigger the built in VST synths etc?

I seem 2 remember that I got it working once with those built in midi-instrument things (grand piano, polysnyth, fingered bass, mapped drums etc), but at that point I hadn't even realised there were sum decent VSTs built in. Now I cant remember how I got it 2 work. And obviously the manual doesnt help in the slightest.

Please, someone explain this 2 me, I'm sick of programming my stiff sounding tracks with the mouse...

...go on, I'll b yr best friend forever.

safe for replying...only, er...how u mean?

I remember having 2 wire up something in the environment the 1 time i got it working, and been trying out endless variations since, but cant make any sense of it.

I did say "in idiots terms"

if u got the patience, can u tell me step by step what "make sure that it exists in your environment in your "Physica l Inputs".You might need to wire it to your "Sequencer Input"" actually means in practice.

I just use the VSTs together with recorded audio. No midi. So Ive never dealt with any of this stuf in 4 years of use.

u will revolutionize my life, seriously. pleeeeeeease.

OK,

1) Hold apple and press 8.

2) You should be in a place called your environment.

3) Near the top left of your screen you should see a list, "Audio", "Global Objects" . . .

4) Keep going through the list till you find a screen that has a large rectangle on it called "physical input".

5) If your there, you should see an indication that says "MPD16".

6) From it's small triangle thing you should be able to drag a line (cable) to your physical input.

*** If you don't see a physical input, you'll need to make one - > New > Physical Input.

This should get you going.

Tell me, does Logic 6 have the EQ display that shows it as a strip?

damn damn damn, so near and yet so far:

must be some slight differences in envronment between 6 and pro.

I'm in environment and managed to make a new physical input. but there is no "Audio" menu. but thats maybe not what u meant (or said, now i think of it).

I got a list which goes like this:

"all objects", "global objects", "clicks and ports", "midi instruments", "instruments", "audio", "instruments" (yes, again, thats not a typo), and "create!"

Ive put a physical input in Global Audio, not cos i was following any kind of logic, but bcos it seemed closest to what u said.

any ideas?

I can find no MPD16 icon anywhere (tho i remember having 1 up the time i got it to work)

not really sure what u mean by 'strip' eq display. perhaps the answer is yes, but ive never even seen a copy of Pro, so i got nothing to contrast it with. clarify please.

vpunk:

just re read yr instruction with a little more care, and makes some sense now, but still the case remains that i'm in Global Objects with a shiny brand new Physical Object and no MPD16 icon in site...where do i find/make one? or is this a sign of a problem elsewhere?

s#!+, not sure what happened, still not found any MPD16 icon, but it works!

I love you, your family, friends, their pets, and intestinal-parasites

Only thing is, as I dont know what I done, so I dont know if I'll be able to do it again next time.

is it possible that just creating a physical input (without wiring it to anything) was enough?

fck me i'm happy

later, i'm off to play.

thanks