Setting Anchor Point for Samples in EXS24

Lazy M Beats

Hallo,

Is there a way to set anchor points for samples that are loaded into the EXS24?

I have a tambourine hit that has a slow attack before it hits the peak where I would want the anchor point to be. It seems like this wouldn't be possible to do in real time during playback but it could work for programming MIDI right?

sorry for my lack of proper vocabulary/knowledge! Let me try to explain more in depth what I would like to do:

Lets say I have a tambourine hit sample and in the recorded sample the player rattles his tambourine at a low level until it builds up to the peak of the transient and then tapers off again.

What I would like to do is load this sample into the EXS24 so that every time I press a note on my keyboard the peak transient of this sample is aligned exactly with the beginning of the MIDI note. I would still like, however, to hear all of the attack of the sample leading up to the peak transient.

I realize that I could load the whole sample into the EXS24 and then manually pull all the MIDI notes forward so that the peak lands where I want it to but it would be nice to just be able just plug the MIDI in where I want it and immediately know that its in the right spot.

I also understand that this might not be possible to do while the song is playing because some of the samples content would come before the MIDI note was even hit.

Is this any more clear? I am sorry if it's not, I am having trouble articulating this in particular.

Thanks for your help! :D

Thanks Guys. Jangus: that is a good idea. I had thought out doing something like that and a couple of other ways. I was just hoping i could use the EXS24/MIDI notes as a way to reference the audio even if I couldn't play it during playback.

I think it would be interesting to have an "anchor mode" in the EXS24 which obviously wouldn't work during playback but would be nice for drawing in MIDI notes while playback in not enabled. For now, I will just stop being lazy and pull audio regions forward as needed! :P

I think it would be interesting to have an "anchor mode" in the EXS24 which obviously wouldn't work during playback but would be nice for drawing in MIDI notes while playback in not enabled.

Good idea. The challenge however is that MIDI note lengths reference the beat while audio sample lengths reference samples (real time), so that relationship changes every time you change the tempo. Not saying it's impossible, but it would require recalculating the anchor position every time you change the tempo, which could become quite a headache with complex tempo curves....

• 3 years later...
Just discovered a bug with the anchor in ESX24. MIDI plugin automation will not compensate for the delay the anchor time causes. Even if one single sample has an anchor position greater than 0, every single sample in the instrument will be affected. Only seems to be per instrument, not for the whole project, thank goodness. Seems like something so specific that it will never be fixed. Oh well. Maybe it's more of a MIDI plugin automation thing that might get a fix?