setting up my gear correctly/ logic, MB pro, ensemble and

bebop

external gear....

i know i'll be fine once i get this figured out - i'm coming from a really hardware based set-up that i could fly on - and now i'm perplexed (even after reading the supplied manual, this forum etc)

i've got a mac book pro, apogee ensemble, m audio 4x4 midi interface, contoler keyboard, MPC4K, roland xv5050 sound module

I believe I've got all the midi wired correctly between the items listed above, along with the inputs and outputs of the apogee - and monitoring

BUT!

I can't get any midi or audio recorded into logic

I believe this is an "environment" issue - but i can't figure this out

if i want to record midi data onto a track in logic and have it played through the XV505 - how is that done?

if I want to play a loaded multi program on the pads of the MPC, and record the midi data in logic so it plays back through the MPC on playback, how is that done?

using logics internal instruments and all are making sense to me, that i have working fine

any help very appreciated

ps ( i dumped most of my hardware stuff ie roland 2480 hard disk recorder and am diving into this realm head first)

here's what i have set:

controler keyboard into midi in A on m audio interface

midi out A going into the xv5050 in (the xv is a multi timbre box)

midi out of the MPC into midi in B on m audio interface

midi out B going into midi in on MPC

In the environment, create a multi-instrument (New > Multi Instrument) for each hardware sound module you have (MPC, XV5050). In the parameters for each multi-instrument, make sure you set the "Port" to the MIDI Out port of your MIDI Interface connected to the MIDI In port of the corresponding sound module.

Connect the MIDI Out of all controllers to MIDI In ports on your MIDI Interface.

Now any controller can record MIDI events in Logic, and you select which sound module you want to play by assigning it to a track in the Arrange window.

thanks david,

so i don't have to cable things up in the environment?

i don't need a phisical input and sequncer object?

and in the arrange window, would i go to an intrument track and call up the various modules (xv, mpc) and what midi channel within those modules i wanted to access?

i'm so close