Recovering a track suffering from clipping?

Kronk

I had some one bring in an audio project with all the tracks bounced to waves. I dragged them into place in Logic and started listening to it.

It has a male vocal part, that starts out good but towards the end of every take or section, as his range goes up, he gets extremely loud and there's clipping on the track causing a noticable distortion.

Is there a way to ease the distortion caused by this at all? I'm probably going to have the person who brought in the track bring the singer back in so I can record him, but in the mean time, I'd like to be able to find out if there's anything I can do to this track besides delete it.

Not really. It's easy to smooth out individual cycle clipping, like a mic pop, or a bad plosive, with the pencil tool in the sample editor, but if you really have a bad distortion over many cycles, there's not much you can do as far as I know.

Listen to Bjork's "Post" and you'll notice quite a bit of distortion on vocals at certain places. It sounds totally unintentional, she just went crazy on some notes, and totally overloaded the preamps. They probably decided to keep it anyway because it was the best performance.

Funny thing is, in my opinion, it actually ADDS to the emotion.

Not really. It's easy to smooth out individual cycle clipping, like a mic pop, or a bad plosive, with the pencil tool in the sample editor, but if you really have a bad distortion over many cycles, there's not much you can do as far as I know.

I helped it a little bit by using the low pass filter to cut out the "hiss" type noise caused by the distortion. but I didn't know if there was any way to help this or not.

Thanks.