Record from Midi

m32dave

Can anyone help. I can't work out to record from midi. Yes I KNOW midi is not a sound!

I want to record a midi track from an external midi software instrument. That gives me a midi track which plays back all my selected sounds, automations etc.

I then want to convert that into an audio track so I can retain it. How do I do that. Bonus points for anyone who can keep it simple for a musician.

Many Thanks

You can use something like SoundFlower (https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/) to route the audio from the software instrument to Logic. Once installed, select soundflower as the audio out device in your software instrument, and the audio input device in Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio, create an audio track with inputs set to 1-2 and record.

You cannot bounce something that's not internal to Logic. Logic can't record audio until you somehow route that audio to Logic. SoundFlower is the virtual audio cable that connects your external MIDI soft inst to Logic... if you used an internal software instrument, wether Logic's own, or 3rd party instrument, then you could just bounce the region (Control-click the region and choose Bounce and Join > Bounce in Place).

Wow thanks for your help. I'll try it. But it seems odd that Logic can't just deal with this obvious need? Shouldn't I be able to I just bounce /render to an audio track?

Imagine you have a keyboard, and a tape recorder. The tape recorder can't magically receive the audio the keyboard is making when you play it, you have to plug the keyboard into the tape recorder to record it's audio.

Same principle here - if your software device is making audio outside of Logic, you must "cable" it (virtually, so to speak) into Logic - and Soundflower is probably the easiest way of doing that.