Convert Region Automation to Track Automation [SOLVED]

markno999

I had previously posted a question about converting MIDI controller data to track automation in order to Trigger the Fuzz Wah. The original topic is here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109129&p=566255#p566255

This process has been working great with Logic 10.0.7, however, since updating to Logic 10.1.1 it is no longer working. When I go to Mix/Convert Automation/Convert Visible Region Automation to track automation, nothing happens. The MIDI Data is not locked. I have tried re- mapping the data to a different controller in case Logic had decided it didn't like my go to Wah Controller 22. I tried Expression (11), Volume (7) and Modulation (1) and each time, no Track Automation is generated, only the MIDI data remains.

As a side-note, I notice under Mix/Create Track Automation the Create 1 Automation Point for Visible Parameter and Create 2 Automation Points for Visible Parameter are both greyed out. I don't recall seeing those options in the last rev of Logic Pro X, however, I also wasn't looking around these settings and the process Eric C outlined was working perfectly.

Appreciate any comments. Thx.

Regards

Edited by markno999

Logic's automation has been revamped since 10.1.

You now have the option to use region automation directly in Automation View.

As you can see, all CCs has been excluded from track based automation. This is why you are experiencing this issue.

This also means that you can skip this step altogether.

You don't have to convert CCs to track based automation. Open automation view and choose the CC that you used.

Hold down Option and navigate to the parameter you want to move it to.

Eric,

Thanks for the quick reply. I am still missing something. When going into Automation View I see how to choose the Fuzz Wah Pedal position, however, I don't see where to choose the MIDI CC. Prior to going into the Automation View, I had the MIDI Controller 1,22 visible on the track via Option -Y, however, when going into Automation View, the CC value changes to Zero and I don't see how to change the Pedal Value to CC 22. The Automation is zero across the whole track. The Option Key doesn't give me any ability to navigate through parameters.

Regards

Eric,

I was able to choose Expression 22 from the Region and link it to the Fuzz Wah Pedal. A pop-up came up asking if I wanted to Copy and Convert, I clicked that option. However, the Wah Pedal is not responding to the CC 22 data. Must have missed something. Will have to play around with it a bit more.. I like the other way a lot better:)

Regards.

Eric,

Same as the last time, trying to control the Fuzz Wah with MIDI CC 22. I have done this numerous times with Logic 10.0.7 and have a number of projects with this effect that are still working in 10.1.1. I just can't seem to duplicate it in the new version of Logic.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

So what you need to do is this:

1. Select the track in question and press A on your keyboard to enter Automation view.
  2. Click on the yellow Automation button to toggle from Track to Region.
  3. Select CC22 in the Automation Parameter pop-up menu. You will now be able see the region based automation that you want to convert.
  4. Hold down Option and navigate through the Automation Parameter pop-up menu again, this time choose Fuzz Wah > Pedal Position.
  5. Choose convert in the popup window.

Hope that helps.

Eric,

Thanks a lot, your detailed instruction worked. I was confusing Track and Region in that I was choosing the CC22 under Region but thinking I had to switch to the Track in order to automate. It is working great. Really appreciate it.

Regards.