Midi timing?

Zymo

A few days ago i had some problems with my midi timing, which is solved now.

The problem was that my incoming analog audio signal of a external synth (connected with midi on a motu midi express 128) was not in sync with my song.

I could solve this by manipulating the "All midi output" delay to -30ms.

Later i discovered that my i/o buffer ratio was changed to 512, don't know why but i set this back to 64. Switching between 512 and 64 gives a total difference for your midi timing, you can hear that easily.

Everything works fine now, but my question is: is there any rule, setting or whatever, to keep an eye on this? i mean, how can you see that actually everything is in sync?

Greeting ;)

Logic has Plug in Delay comphensation to take care of most of the internal issues, but with midi, you're going to have to play around with the different settings like you've been doing. I'm not sure that there's a reference to tell you that your midi is in perfect sync until you track it to audio. There is not wrong setting to use, you'll just have to let your ears tell you when it is in sync.

Cheers,

Adrian Roberts

OGC

www.myspace.com/organicgroovecontinuum :D

this really baffles me-the fact that we can record great musicians to MIDI tracks but then have to "guess" at the right settings so it plays back the way we heard it.

I had this exact problem yesterday and had a hard time explaining to my artist that this was a bit of guesswork and not science.

It seems like Logic should be able to factor all this and create a perfect setting depending on the buffer setting.

like adrian.roberts said, there's no problem to experiment with those settings.

but i think that there's have to be some kind of rule to tweak off the correct settings.

if you work with external midi audio instruments, everything is in sync.

if you work with internal virtual instruments, the same.

if you make a setup combining those two, you have to pay attention i discovered :/