Audio recording problems

Champers

Hi,

I'm a live engineer on tour at the moment and I just bought logic for my MacBook Pro and a pair of Echo Audiofire12 firewire interfaces, with an aim to do some live multitrack recording to be mixed when we finish the tour. Last night was my first go at using it. Set it all up, 18 tracks of audio, with all the tracks armed it looked fine, got all my levels set so that nothing was clipping, hit the record button and after about 10 seconds I got an error message saying disk too slow. I stoped it, got the spinning beach ball for a little while, then hit record again, same thing happened. I shut it all down, re-booted the computer, had another go and it happened again, then gave up on it.

Is there some field somewhere that I have to set cache or buffers or something like that?

Our next show is on Saturday headlining a big UK festival and I'd really like to be able to have this sorted before then.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You should get an outboard FW 400 drive and record to that, it will probably solve your issues. Open your Logic session, do a Save As to the outboard drive, and then go File>Save As Project to ensure that your recordings are going to the same place as the session. You can also go to Logic>Preferences>Audio on the Audio Hardware and Drivers tab and push your buffer size right up to the max. There will be noticeable latency, but I don't assume anyone is trying to listen to what you're tracking during the performance...

Be aware that moving the channel faders in Logic will not prevent input signal clipping, you have to manage gain before it gets to your interfaces (Echos). Use the bus outs of the FOH console, if you have some available, and use those faders to manage levels, or get some inline barrel pads or such if you're using the channels' direct outs. Depending on your material, you may let the odd red light go by in a live setting, but you'll probably hear it when you play it back later.

Try to give yourself generous headroom (like -6dBfs peaks in Logic) so that you don't get a great performance ruined by the drummer finally hitting both crashes and the kick together on the last chord, beating the s**t out of the OHs... Etc.

Interested to know how it turns out.

Hooray, working out very well now. I increased the buffer and un-clicked the record at 24-bit option. So happy that it's working now. Have recorded the last two shows now and both with great results.

I do have another question regarding recording time length, but I'll post it in a new thread.