Piano roll 1 octave ahead of conventional form? [SOLVED]

saint-hills

So I was studying frequencies this afternoon and while I was on an ear training website, I read that E2 on the piano is equal to 82.41hz. They suggested to play E2 on the piano and memorize that frequency before studying anything else. So I got on logic and I wrote some midi data for grand piano on E2. After a while, I went back to the website and heard their E2, which was one octave lower than logic's E2. So I memorized the wrong frequency for E2, I actually memorized E3 (164.82).

Now, I know that logic is the wrong one because I did some research and I found that the conventional form is that E2 is 82.41 hz. But I opened up another daw (ignite), and it's piano role does the same thing as logic's.

So why is this? And can I re-number my piano roll octaves in the settings? Thank you all in advance!

Preferences > Display > Display Middle C as:

C4 (Roland) puts A0 at the bottom of an 88 note keyboard, and a penciled-in E2 will print at the first ledger line below the bass clef. It's also the lowest string on a guitar (actual pitch. Guitar is written in treble and sounds an octave lower).

By the way, a male can commonly sing third space bass clef E (E3 with the Roland C4 setting). First ledger line E below the bass clef staff (E2 with the Roland C4 setting) is very low, not easily hit, and considered at or near the cut-off for a trained bass voice. So if you're not sure what pitch you've got, try singing it.

My reference for E as the loud unison open of Scheherazade's first movement.

• 1 month later...
Preferences > Display > Display Middle C as:

C4 (Roland) puts A0 at the bottom of an 88 note keyboard, and a penciled-in E2 will print at the first ledger line below the bass clef. It's also the lowest string on a guitar (actual pitch. Guitar is written in treble and sounds an octave lower).

By the way, a male can commonly sing third space bass clef E (E3 with the Roland C4 setting). First ledger line E below the bass clef staff (E2 with the Roland C4 setting) is very low, not easily hit, and considered at or near the cut-off for a trained bass voice. So if you're not sure what pitch you've got, try singing it.

My reference for E as the loud unison open of Scheherazade's first movement.

thanks!

Archived