Regarding Ram limitaion in Logic

munatree

Dear who will see this post

I have a question which might sond fun.

I am planing to upgrade ram for my macpro to work for my soundtrack (I have 3gb ram but it's not enough to run my orchestra template(EWQL Gold) and always crash)

However after serching the forum there is a 4gb ceiling Ram limitation for every single application including logic.Then does it mean even if I uprade to 7gb ram, it doesn't help the problem?

I might misunderstood the content.

Thanks

Shane

Are you sure is the lack of RAM that's causing your system's crash ?

Could be bad RAM ? DFD is enabled ?

Normally when I push the system to the limit I only get System Overloads.

I have 3,5 GB on my PM G5 dual 2.3 GHz and usually open around 60 Stereo Exs on my orchestral arrangements with no problems.

Thanks for your reply majorback.

I bought my ram from apple strore when I bought my macpro.so No question about it. I checked couple of times that when my logic crashed my Ram message from active monitor is like 16000000 TB. I think this is because lack of ram. I use 4 Kontakt 2 with multi channel setting.

This is what i read from Brian's post.and makes me confused to upgrade my ram.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a Logic user who's just come back to it from Sonar and Gigastudio.

I know on the PC side, users were using gigastudio computers that were just that, samplers. In XP it seemed that if users loaded more then 3 gigs of ram they were able to load less instruments then before. Something around XP locking in how much ram it needed to operate. The more ram in there the more ram XP locked up for it to use. After tweaks here and tweaks there it all came down to XP only being able to use up to 2 gigs of ram for one process (process being a program like gigastudio). In OS X it seems that this is roughly the same issue. There may be a few hacks that will help out but then you have stability issues.

In the PC world Vista has claimed to resolve this, but isn't ready for Daw use yet. Hopefully soon.

[u]In the Mac world, really I think Leopard will get our systems accessing up to 16 gigs of ram for whatever we want. Will it work for Logic? Hopefully, but probably we have to wait for Logic 8 along with Leopard. [/u]And we can bet it won't work perfect right off the bat. It may need Leopard to get to 10.5.1 first and Logic 8.2 before it'll all come together...

My Mac Pro is scheduled for pickup tomorrow.

Can't wait to sell my G4... Razz

Later

Brian

In XP it seemed that if users loaded more then 3 gigs of ram they were able to load less instruments then before.

I'm not an expert but this sounds very strange to me. This is not what happened here. When I had 1,5 GB of RAM performance was clearly inferior then with 3,5 GB.

I read in more then one place that Logic indeed doesn't recognize more then 4GB.

But I really doubt that if you upgrade your Ram you'll have a decrease in performance.

EWQL is really power consuming: They use to recommend for best performance one computer for each module (!) (Strings, Brass, Reeds, Percussion). So if ram doesn't help and you're a millionaire you could buy 3 Mac Pro more.:lol:

Just curious : how many instruments you're using at time ?