Audio objects only in arrange window?

Simon R.

Is it possible to create an arrange window that only shows audio tracks and audio instruments, for example? That would be really nice for when I do mixing and don't want to have the MIDI tracks cluttering things up. Also, it would be good for mixing since I could select all and SOLO to make only the audio parts play back, instead of having to deal with choosing the audio objects each time I want to play back my mix without the MIDI tracks also playing.

So to be able to create a screenset that shows audio only in arrange would be great.

If you hit S or click on the toggle solo mode in the transport bar, you can then select any regions you want to be soloed.

Of course but that is way too tim consuming to select and solo all the stuff all the time. Which is why I looked for a way simply select all + Solo to just hear all audio tracks playing.

Use the Hide function.

Hide works... somewhat. Unfortunately it works globally. So I can't have a screenset where I hide all MIDI tracks and then leave the other screensets with everything unhidden. And it seems you have to have that "H" button light up on each track you want hidden. I wish there was a way to hide the HIDE BUTTON on the tracks

:twisted:

Hide works... somewhat. Unfortunately it works globally. So I can't have a screenset where I hide all MIDI tracks and then leave the other screensets with everything unhidden. And it seems you have to have that "H" button light up on each track you want hidden. I wish there was a way to hide the HIDE BUTTON on the tracks

Man, you're a hard guy to please...

In your post you asked, "Is it possible to create an arrange window that only shows audio tracks and audio instruments..."

The answer is "yes" and you have multiple options.

a) hide function, which is easily accessible from the GUI as well as key commands:

http://www.score2picture.com/logicpix/hide.jpg

The second one on the list lets you hide a track while the hide function is active (tracks hidden, no "H's").

b) folders -- put all the stuff you don't want to see into a folder and then hide the folder. Seems like you want an arrangement within an arrangement. Well, the way to do this is with folders. And you can have a screenset that shows the top level of the arrange window, and another screenset that shows you the interior of a folder.

Lots of options, just have to choose one or two or three of 'em...

Man, you're a hard guy to please...

In your post you asked, "Is it possible to create an arrange window that only shows audio tracks and audio instruments..."

The answer is "yes" and you have multiple options.

No, it isn't possible to have a PERMANENT arrange window you can access, where only audio tracks are shown. You have to set a hide toggle on all tracks you want hidden and then hide/unhide the tracks when you need to. It is a solution, but not as elegant as I would have liked it to be.

b) folders -- put all the stuff you don't want to see into a folder and then hide the folder. Seems like you want an arrangement within an arrangement. Well, the way to do this is with folders. And you can have a screenset that shows the top level of the arrange window, and another screenset that shows you the interior of a folder.

Lots of options, just have to choose one or two or three of 'em...

Also a solution yes. I don't know which one of them would be the best. But I might go with "hide".

And yes, I am hard to please. I want elegant, good, workflow solutions. I don't think that's too much to ask, really. Being able to customize your arrange windows like I suggest (by hiding different elements: instrument tracks, audio tracks, busses etc.) would be a nice feature and easy to implement.

I see your point --- to elaborate... it would be a very cool thing to have an Arrange page function that operates, perhaps, like the Track Mixer, where you could display only a particular "class" of track.

Still, you have options available to you at the moment.

Meanwhile, sounds like "feature request time". David, pull some strings, OK? This is a really good idea.

It's not the same as folders. With folders I would have to select some already created regions, then fold them... And if I want to see them again I need a special arrange window that shows that folder. This is much more convenient and you can setup a template where if you press "8" you go to an "audio only" mixing environment for example. No matter if you have created or recorded anything or not and if you create new audio tracks, those will be shown automatically as well.

And if I want to see them again I need a special arrange window that shows that folder.

No. It's as easy as double-clicking on the folder to see its contents. No special arrange window needed. But...

That option is available too. Select a screenset (say, "8") and enter the folder. Voila, there's your "8=(desired) content display".

Yeah, the idea of what you really want is a good one. But here's what I don't get... you ask a question about how to do something, get good advice and several options on how you can achieve what you want, and then you proceed to shoot it all down. "Nope, not good enough. Nope, not good enough."

Well, there you have it. Maybe put a feature request in to Apple from their feedback site, and perhaps post the same thing here in the Feature Request section. But meanwhile, try to make the best with what you have to work with. Folders and/or screensets and/or hiding tracks = the maximum possible amount of happiness you can hope to achieve with Logic at the moment.

Yes, I get good advice, but what I was hoping for was that there was something I had overlooked and that it could be done the way I had in mind:) For the time being, it can't. As for sending a feature request to Apple.. I don't know. I have a feeling I might as well send those off to Britney Spears.

Yes, I get good advice, but what I was hoping for was that there was something I had overlooked and that it could be done the way I had in mind:) For the time being, it can't. As for sending a feature request to Apple.. I don't know. I have a feeling I might as well send those off to Britney Spears.

I hear Paris Hilton is getting out of jail pretty soon. While submitting a feature request to Apple may fall on deaf ears and blind eyes (or then again, maybe not...) if you sent her a letter with your request that she'd at least do something with it, like tear it up... you know, venting her rage upon for being so unjustly incarcerated. I can see it now...

"Dear Ms. Hilton,

I'm not sure exactly why you're famous, but I did see your coolie on the Internet. But lots of women have those so I don't know why yours should be more famous than any other one, but anyway I have this feature request for Logic. Since you live in California -- coincidentally the same state where Apple is headquartered -- can you do me a favor and pay them a visit for me? I hear that working a little charm on Mr. Jobs could pay off big-time for us Logic users. So here's the request...

[etc.]

Sincerely,

Simon R."

Better than being completely ignored... Maybe??

:D

I have a feeling I might as well send those off to Britney Spears.

The last time I sent a bug report to apple using the feedback form, I got an immediate email answer from Logic's senior product manager. Granted the guy knows me, and not everybody will get the same treatment (in fact you probably will never get an answer), but that shows you one thing: Logic's senior product manager himself is reading the feedback reports. Not an intern, not a secretary, not just another employee, but the senior product manager himself!

So yes, they do listen. They just don't take the time to answer, which is probably better for us: more time for them to work! :wink:

Also try our "Feature Suggestion Forum", I know a lot of the Apple people are surfing these boards on a regular basis. Some are even posting or replying to posts, but ... never under their real names (for legal reasons).

Being able to customize your arrange windows like I suggest (by hiding different elements: instrument tracks, audio tracks, busses etc.) would be a nice feature and easy to implement.

Simon, AFAICT, you can have exactly what you want - a customizable arrange where you can select all and solo and only hear those tracks. Folders are the way to go man! Put all the stuff you DO want to see in your custom arrange in one folder, and then create a screenset with the view inside that folder. Done!

If you want to get fancy, you could have a little arrange at the bottom that had a folder each for audio and midi with the big one on top yellow linked. Click those folder regions and the view changes on top. Soloing also works on those folders although the midi will play out a bit when you switch to the audio.

Try it. I think you'll like it. :)