Please help me understand the I/O buffer

woodenboy

Hi there

I'm trying to figure out what the relative pros and cons there are to the various options in I/O buffer size, could really do with your help. I'm thinking particularly of recording audio rather than MIDI, although I do both so if there is a difference in the way they behave, I'd love to know.

I understand that the lower the setting, the less delay there is when using software monitoring... but if I don't use software monitoring, is there any reason why I shouldn't whack the buffer size right up, to avoid clicks and pops? Or... does a higher buffer size also result in the audio being recorded later and out of sync with the track, and then I need to try and move regions around after recording?

Last question: If I have to use software monitoring and need to reduce the buffer size to avoid there being too awkward a delay, do actions like muting non-essential tracks ease the load on the computer and make the recording more reliable?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. The article definitely helps... but I'm still wondering whether or not the audio will be delayed in the track by the amount Logic is buffering.... or does it work all that out and make sure the audio is in the right place and all in sync with the track? Sorry if it's a dumb question or if I'm not making any sense.

Cheers.

Logic automatically compensates for the sample buffer.

And there is one other reason apart from software monitoring as to why you'd want to use a small sample buffer: playing virtual instruments from a keyboard - you need a small-ish sample buffer for an 'instantaneous' response from the VI after pressing a key. . . .