"De esser" suggestions?

Kronk

You know one of my teaching methods to make sure my students understand what a plug-in does, is to set it to very extreme parameters so they can REALLY hear the results. Then we back down and we can adjust the parameters to a reasonable setting, while knowing what our ears should focus on (try telling someone who's never used a compressor to adjust threshold, attack and release time with a ratio of 1:1.3!!).

Anyway, when we go over the de-effer, it's always a great laugh.

I like Spitfish, way nicer than Logic's and it's free.

I downloaded it and dropped it into the components folder, but it doesn't show up in the inserts...plus I here is deadens tracks.

What's the best way to cure this before it stops? I have a pop filter, it's nothing fancy but it's there.

Also, is the best way to fix this on an exsisting track EQ and a low pass filter?

One last question, which is off topic, but maybe I won't have to start a new thread. How do you make it so you don't have to turn the metrinome off every time you create an audio track and start recording.

Ok...I think that's it for now. :D

Too bad you don't do classes in B-more or DC

I downloaded it and dropped it into the components folder, but it doesn't show up in the inserts...

Are you on an Intel mac? I think the spitfish plugs are PPC only.

Personally I think volume automation, "riding the vocals" is really the answer to de-essing. I've asked 2 major producers in the pop and rock field, and they use that technique rather than a de-esser.

I downloaded it and dropped it into the components folder, but it doesn't show up in the inserts...

Are you on an Intel mac? I think the spitfish plugs are PPC only.

Personally I think volume automation, "riding the vocals" is really the answer to de-essing. I've asked 2 major producers in the pop and rock field, and they use that technique rather than a de-esser.

I'll try that.

Yeah, it's intel...but The Apitfish plug-ins were AU's as well, so I figured they would be the same. Oh well.

I'll try doing that on one of the vocal tracks tonight and see what happens.

The spitfish and the entire Fish Fillet plug in bundle are PPC AUs only. Unfortunately, by all accounts, they will never be ported over to Intel Macs.

ski,

Did you update to 10.4.9? The Fish Fillet bundle won't validate under the new AU validation process. They still work, you just have to force them.

I'm still on LP 7.1.1 and OSX 10.4.8 and it validated and works fine here.

X

hi, ski, and X.

apple's discussion forum getting a bit confining?

nice to see you guys.

Nice to see you too. I was just a viewing member of this forum for a long time because I didn't want to look like a complete tool on two forums. Now that I have a little experience under my belt I feel a lot more comfortable about participating on this forum. David's work here is too important to sully with idiocy.

Besides, the Apple forum regulars are barely ever there anymore (except iS) and you get kind of tired of hearing RTFM (even if it is warranted). The tone on this forum is a thousand times better then over there.

X

i used to use the automation technique as david suggests but now find it easier and quicker to get good results by highlighting the 'ess' in the audio editor and using the change gain to drop the volume - it's so easy to spot them in audio editor and i find it more precise than automation. . .

I had a record come back from Mastering @ Heathmans in the UK a few years back, and that was my lesson on De-essing. I use Waves Ren De-esser and it's great.

My singer had a gap between her front teeth, which makes for more siblance. That and my reverbs made it worse, so I had a quick lesson there. This was going to vinyl where high siblance can be more of an issue.

Eric

hi, ski, and X.

apple's discussion forum getting a bit confining?

nice to see you guys.

and yep, logic's de-esser is a strange beast.

funny, i've never had to reach for a de-esser ever with anything.

good mics/mic choice, i guess.

best DR9.

but i reach for a beer quite often!

Good to see you DR9. Thanks for the advice, but if you've ever had to record a choir of snakes singing "Magnus fortis bonus purus" in Latin, trust me, you'd need a de-esser.

:D

"Haha... that's funny. You're funny. You're a funny guy. You amuse me. You're a f@%cking clown. You're here to amuse me. Funny ha ha."

ski, when not working on very demanding music - which is most of the time -

is also a fine humorist, a great cribbage player, practicing exponent of quantum mechanics, MBE, OBE and O my gosh!!!, Academy Award nomanee, test pilot for the US air force, and a great little knitter.

best, DR9.