Logic's Compressors

scrofani

Has anyone noticed that Logic's Silver compressor sounds completely different from it's standard compressor and in fact, is a worthy contender in some situations where the standard comp doesn't seem to give the sound you want?

Recently inspired by some sonic tests of different comps on a website, I did a little comparison myself using a 1KHz test oscillator and a frequency spectrum analyzer both before and after some compressors in Logic and other prized AU's. Logic standard compressor was the cleanest. Even under very extreme settings (high ratio, peak compression, short release times, low threshold). The frequency spectrum after the comp was the same as before the comp (a spike at 1KHz, obviously). I even swept the spectrum from 20Hz up to 20,000Hz and it remained clean. This, of course changes if you engage soft or hard clipping in the comp settings. Then some higher harmonics are generated and appear in the spectrum - typical of the square-wave buzziness of clipping where waves develop sharp corners etc.

People (not here) seem to like to bash Logic's compressor but at least according to this test it seems pretty darned surgical to me. I mean that in a good way.

The silver compressor behaved very differently and almost always gave me added harmonics and even some sub harmonics as well. That's not necessarily a bad thing since what we prize as "colouring" in a comp can be some of this added stuff. But nonetheless, they looked (and sound to me) like two very different comps. I couldn't get logic's standard comp to mimic what the silver comp did to the frequency spectrum no matter what settings I chose, thus validating what my ears hear. And I personally find the silver comp to be a refreshing more vintage-esk comp for use in Logic (except for the fact that I always need to insert a gain plug after it to boost or attenuate).

Has anyone heard the ramped up compressor in the new Soundtrack Pro which I'm assuming will make its way into the next Logic update? With opto release mode and others, I'm wondering if that baby sounds even more flexible.

Glad to hear you often like the default setting for drums and bass. I have silver compressor in my older (emagic) version of Logic, and because I don't have a lot of time to spend creating these days, pre-sets and default settings are my friend. :)

I will try it on my current project.

i love the sound of logics compressor with "soft' enabled. i picked that up from BJ, a former frequenter of this forum. sounds a lot more natural. whered he go anyway? same with ischwartz. not that david hasn't picked up the slack ten-fold, but still....

iSchwartz is here, but goes by the name of "Ski".

Glad to have seen this thread. Going to try some of these things out. Yesssss!

Best Regards,

-=sKi=-

8)

Yeah I never saw anything wrong with Logic's Compressor, the manual states that it has been mode after some of the finest analogue gear, but whether that is "vintage" analogue is still yet to be determined. But after hearing the results from these observations I'm more lead to be it is a "modern" analogue compressor. But to be honest, that is more handy, because it is more flexible and can be haves transparently when needed.

Thankfully, Apple seems to have bolstered their Compressor stable with new models. The sound of it just has my mouth watering for the next version of Logic!!

It's also great in the fact that it doesn't promise to make any 3rd party purchases obsolete. So you're sure not to have wasted your money, but it would seem it gives you enough colors to make just about anybody happy.

Pity those algorithms don't seem to be available in the Multicompressor, but at least they're are present in their Surround Sound edition.

Here's hoping the offer a few modelled EQ choices as well, much in the same way they did for the Compressor, but since Soundtrack Pro doesn't have this feature, I'm not holding my breath.

Hands up who here seriously thinks it's not fair that Soundtrack Pro users get to play with Logic's new toys well before Logic users get to!!...LOL

Yeah I get ya'

I'm right into the idea of doing things like myself... if you can't have the real thing you might as well shoot for 2nd best. And in the end if you told everybody you used a Manley for your recording... they will believe you.

In the end it's the creator that can only really pick up those subtle differences, because every body else has nothing to compare it too.

And now you have a CST you can reuse anytime... :D