drum kits

mikeman

hey, im strugglin to find a nice powerful kick, i like the low thud types that have power n not with a high end sound on it. im jus struggling getting that because the low kicks i have dont sound powerful enuf, i was wondering if there was any free plugins or anythin i cud do? also nice snare sounds are hard to find, im looking for a snare that has a sound of a clap...if u kno wot i mean lol sorry if this is vague and confusing, i was just wondering if anyone knew of any tips or plugins for kits to help me. thanks for ur time!

As a starting point why not sample them from records that have the sound you are after.

That way you have some to work with so you can try other things in Logic without worrying that your drums don't sound the same as that particular record. You can also post an example here so we can hear the exact kind of sounds you are wanting. Finally you can start being analytical about them. See what the ones you are aiming for look like in the Sample Editor & how your current ones look in comparison.

Layer sounds.

A snare wit no lo end and crispy top layered with one with lots of bottom and lo mid for instance.

When adding claps to a snare try delaying the clap 15 - 20ms after the actual snare sound.

If you want a really wide stereo clap sound, make a copy of the first clap sound and cut of the start slightly on the copy and then hard pan left & right.

Good luck!

Johan

What kind of music do you make? Soul, Jazz, Rock? There are some great "open" drum samples. On the Roots album called "Things fall apart" as well as some on D'angelo's Cd " Vodoo.

Otherwise, you can create an EQ setting that will eliminate the high end and sculpt the THUD, BOOM or BUMP that you want. That's my approach.

Hope that helps...

Layer sounds.

A snare wit no lo end and crispy top layered with one with lots of bottom and lo mid for instance.

When adding claps to a snare try delaying the clap 15 - 20ms after the actual snare sound.

If you want a really wide stereo clap sound, make a copy of the first clap sound and cut of the start slightly on the copy and then hard pan left & right.

Good luck!

Johan

ditto on that.

you might wanna triple or 4truple a kick and snare.

sometimes i even export the kick alone and add it to my finsish track and rebounce it with the kick mixed the way a like.

u can also use sub bass.

dont use lost of compression as it takes low end out.

u can also parrel compress. tat might fix your drum and kick problems.

i make mainly grime music (dont know if u will have heard of it) but i also make rnb hip hop and grime rave.

could u elaborate on the parrel compression? havent heard of it before also if u meant parrallel i havent heard of that type either lol.

i feel i have to compress my kicks because they are always hittin red on the volume, but then i compress and turn down n they dont have that umph n power that i want.

not reali looking for 'real life' drum kit sounds apart from cymbals/hi hats etc.

although the roots are a great band lol i prefer to record live drums if im wanting a real drum kit sound