Express or Pro????

ray

Since this is THE forum for Logic , I would like to ask everyones opinion on whether it is worth it to buy Logic Express ( to save some initial start-up costs) or dive into the pro....

I will be creating a production music library. I have used Logic (midi) since 198?? but if Express functions pretty much like Logic 4.0 Gold etc. then (for now) Express might be all I need...

Also, Can Express be used for scoring to a Quicktime movie ( in case I get a call???).

I don't want to waste time on the Express software if it a Mickey-Mouse program......

Any thoughts, folks???

Thanks

Ray

Miami Beach

i cant really recall specific instances, but whenever i was dealing with my friend who uses express, our conversations would usually go something like this....

"how do you do this seemingly reasonable task"

"Oh, thats easy, let me just.....uhhhhhh......err....i guess you can't"

I constantly had to tell him how great pro was, but he never really understood and got Live 6 instead.

as an express user, yes you can score to pictures.

the main weaknesses of express (IMHO) are:

No ultrabeat

no sculpture

no space designer

no external instruments, with both midi and audio

no vocoder

no sidechaining

no automation 'curve' tool

no using your own samples in exsp24 ( think you can do that in Pro?)

and thats all i can think of at the moment, but everything else works like a beauty. softsynth wise you get the exsp24, es 1, es e, es p i think thats about it. for specific differences between the two, check out the comparison chart, just google logic pro express comparison.

Cheers,

Ben

Thanks for the replys

At the present I will be using only Kontakt to record the initial 40 to 50 tracks as well as any midi sounds I have in my Roland keyboard that I think will be useful. SURELY Logic express can record midi and audio, I mean, that's what the software is all about!!?? I can export the resultant digital audio as mp3 files too, I hope ( for a cd ) or website library application??

If I am not mistaken there are plenty of reverbs and other post-production effects in Express? I guess I am trying to talk myself into it. I DO think the savings would help me at the start. I was using some program back in 1979 with a black-and-white 8 inch monitor, and it was working!!!! I have tried a demo model of Express in my local new Apple store in Miami Beach and it seems cool......

anyway, thanks all for the input, I'll let you know which way I decided to go......

Ray

Miami Beach

Ocean Groove Production Music

I'm assuming you've seen this:

http://www.apple.com/logicexpress/comparison.html

Bus and Aux track counts are considerably lower.

Max input channels are lower, but if you don't have the hardware to support greater than 12, who cares, right?

IIRC, max virtual instrument count is lower too (per song... 12 or something), but it's not listed on that chart.

No surround support in Express, and lower max resolution (but still quite usable).

Also, Pro comes with a TON of samples/patches for EXS24... all the old eMagic sets that were for separate sale... I don't know if they're in Express, but I'd tend to doubt it.

Other than that, the differences are mainly in the plugin bundle, which I must say is worth the $700 difference (at rated prices, which you can beat if you look around).

I don't know if Express does mp3 exports, but there are plenty of utilities for that anyway.

I used Big Box for years, which is basically what Express is, and my take is simple:

Express isn't going to block you, but Pro will set you free. :D

Take care,

- zevo

Thanks a lot. Yes I have glanced at the Apple.com comparison chart. At this point I am on the fence. The most important point you make is the number of plugin ( instances??) of virtual instruments. If I am creating an electronic track and it is quite complex, I wonder if I will need more than 12 instances odf Kontakt??? Who knows??. What the hell, I'm financing it anyway, what's another 600 clams???

LOL

See you later.. No doubt when I get it installed and try to compose the initial track I'll be counting on you all to bail me out of my problems!!!

Ray

I want to pipe in here...

I went Express - and it's great - but I'm dying for Pro and it's going to be my next purchase.

You can do a lot with express - but you'll save a lot of time, have a lot more control over editing, and have a lot wider range of sounds ready to go if you go with Pro.

If you can afford it - I'd recommend Pro - I wish I'd started there.

Think of it this way - if money's a concern - express is $299 and the upgrade is $699 - so you're not losing money if you decide to upgrade later (based on $999 for Pro).

I don't know if Express does mp3 exports, but there are plenty of utilities for that anyway.

The answer is yes. You can indeed export to MP3 in Express. I started with Express and honestly, You can do alot more in LE7 than you may realize. My main purpose for upgrading was simply to access the sampler in Pro. I took all my hardware samples and converted them to EXS24.

Great input guys, thank you!!

Based on what I have heard here the past few days I believe I will go for the pro version. It will get me up-and-running with a comprehensive program that I can 're-learn' and I won't have to upgrade to anything ( unless the 8 version is anything to write home about when it finally arrives, that is....

All the best

Ray

Miami Beach

No ultrabeat

no sculpture

no space designer

no vocoder

no sidechaining

and thats all i can think of at the moment, but everything else works like a beauty. softsynth wise you get the exsp24, es 1, es e, es p i think thats about it. for specific differences between the two, check out the comparison chart, just google logic pro express comparison.

Cheers,

Ben

There is an even BIGGER restriction in express, and I didn't see anyone mention it: 8 Buses and Auxes.

This is the biggest limitation IMO. Thing is I don't use any of the midi instruments in logic, most plugs I don't use either I have my own set of 3rd parties I'm attached to. So I considered express and saw this horror of a limitation and pretty much had to pay the extra 700 what ever for 64(?) auxes and buses. If you use something like BFD you're at 32 auxes instantly. If they remove this restriction in next revision, I'm more apt to get express for the work I do. Otherwise you might as well get Garage band :D

R

ahhh! the worst one i think i remember was that he couldnt record midi in real time with his keyboard. he had to hand input everything. maaaaaaaaaaan that was annoying.

express has all the other mentioned drawbacks, BUT THIS IS SIMPLY WRONG! he should read the manual!! you can record midi in express.

also, pro is by far better, for 300bucks express delievers still great power.

No ultrabeat

no sculpture

no space designer

no vocoder

no sidechaining

Cheers,

Ben

There is an even BIGGER restriction in express, and I didn't see anyone mention it: 8 Buses and Auxes.

This is the biggest limitation IMO. Thing is I don't use any of the midi instruments in logic, most plugs I don't use either I have my own set of 3rd parties I'm attached to. So I considered express and saw this horror of a limitation and pretty much had to pay the extra 700 what ever for 64(?) auxes and buses. If you use something like BFD you're at 32 auxes instantly. If they remove this restriction in next revision, I'm more apt to get express for the work I do. Otherwise you might as well get Garage band :D

R

i have and use both, express on lappy pro in the studio, express has max 12 aux and buses NOT 8.

haha, if you look on the apple page it says 8. :) Still 12 Aux is no where near enough.

fair enough! but it is 12 aux and 12 buses... for shure.

i am actually do a fair bit in express do to the fact of not having this annoying dongle for my MBP to carry around and misplace somwhere, but then i am a minimalist i like to keep things as simple as possible... mainly i start tracks on the MBP and take them into the studio to pro mainly for for the additional plugs and my mix environment, moniors, etc...