Why is learning the functions of logic so difficult?

shriscean

In my humble opinion, just the name alone LOGIC says it all. I've been using Logic for 7 months now & I've done plenty recording sessions in Logic with no problems. However, when it's time to edit my sessions Logic is wicked for that. I come to find out that Logic is soooooo deeeeeeeeep. I also get the impression that it's telling me figure this one out buddy. For ex. in ultrabeat when loading a sample it wont play the sampl like it should. you have to do this & that to play a simple sample. there was a thread the other day about someone having problems with the snap mode. The snap mode is so logical, it works like a charm everytime. As for me, it's gonna take years for me to fully understant the powers of Logic pro 7. So I dont really understand the big fuss about when Logic 8 will come out. Apple is taking it's time because Logic 8 will be the one. Logic 8 will be sooooo bad that it will.......anyways, Dont give up on Logic. Injoy the ride.

Peace

sure just start to see what happens if you press such button or key or whatever and little by little you get the picture

personally i don't think logic is hard to learn i've been with it for since months now and it never crossed my mind that it require a lot of effort to learn it.

though i do have found in forums that people thinks or say or heard or whatever logic is hard to learn i believe that is a myth a shadow or something

eitherway i think it's worth it

I found Logic to be a very hard app to grasp, but that's because I have no DAW experience prior to it.

If you are still having issues, I strongly suggest checking out macprovideos.com and pick the Logic bundle. i did. Shaved years off of the learning curve for me. And one of the stars of the tutorials, Steve Horelick (am I spelling that right Steve?) is a frequent visitor of this forum.

Hope that helps.

X

I've only been using logic for about a month. But i've been recording and sequencing for almost 20 years. Thus far, the worst thing i can say about logic is that it is "ergonomically awkward." Which is unexpected coming from apple. But i am so far very grateful for logics capabilty.

... that it is "ergonomically awkward." Which is unexpected coming from apple.

That's because Apple's only owned Logic for a few years. I bet the next big update is going to be way more Apple like. I hope i hope i hope....

X

Some people have said that you should poke around to learn things.

I strongly disagree.

If you rely on poking around you'll ultimately get frustrated and never create anything. It's an inefficient way to learn anything when documentation already exists.

To get up and running real quick I recommend getting a Logic Pro book. I recommend Orren Merton's book Logic Pro 7 Power or something similar.

I went through Logic 6 with a Power series book. While not as in-depth as the reference manual, I believe that they're more helpful for new users than poking around or reading the reference manual page by page. You gotta walk before you can run.

I've only been using logic for about a month. But i've been recording and sequencing for almost 20 years. Thus far, the worst thing i can say about logic is that it is "ergonomically awkward." Which is unexpected coming from apple. But i am so far very grateful for logics capabilty.

+1000. I picked it up pretty fast too, but the biggest surprise was how un-logical it is compared to every other DAW. Very fiddly IMO, powerful, but not streamlined enough.

The forum has been indepensible.

David, Shorelick, Asher, and others, all wonderful and helpful.

Now that I have basic understanding and can produce simple tracks I'm ready to move forward with study aids like macprovideo and 3rd party books. ( I wish I could afford to go to training in L.A.!)

I truly believe that the next version of Logic will really give ProTools a run for it's money - it may take years to catch up to Pro Tools but if you look at the other apps Apple / Adobe have cultivated it only makes sense to say as Logic users we're ahead of the curve.

I for one am going to squeeze as much as I can out of Express until Logic 8. Maybe it will incorporate a touch screen with the expansion and squeezing of windows much like the iphone. Imagine being able to create EQ curves by running your finger across the screen or expanding the size of a room etc.?

Bloody goose bumps!

+1000. I picked it up pretty fast too, but the biggest surprise was how un-logical it is compared to every other DAW. Very fiddly IMO, powerful, but not streamlined enough.

i guess, that is a very individual thing, to me besides Live, Logic is the most logical i ever worked with, i love it for that. it's like made fo me!

logic is somewhat hard to learn, but it's soooo deep / great and well worth the steep learning curve IMHO.

shriscean I can idenifty with what you are saying. I did find Logic difficult, and still do, but it's getting better.

Because I have a young family and a 9 to 5 job not related to music production, I had no time to fiddle with manuals and third-party books as my sole resource to get up and running.

I actually hired a DAW cosultant who is a Logic expert to jumpstart me. It was 4 hours of one-on-one in front of the computer, and it was worth every penny. (at a very fair rate mind you)

I realize that depending on where you are and your individual circumstances and financial resources, this may or may not be an option.

But, it was essential for me in order to get past the initial frustration that time contrstraints placed upon me.

Now, I need to develop some kind of guerilla, hit-and-run recording style so that I can actually get some things done on little tiny bits of free-time. But then, that could be a whole other post. :)

i've taught myself the mpc 3000, triton keyboard, and reason 3.0 and logic is BY FAR the most difficult audio hardware or software i've ever encountered. am i overreacting or is logic really hard to get down pact?

Get the basics down 1st and you can reference the rest.

Everyone has a different way of using Logic. Some people do only the Midi/Electronic stuff, some people do only Audio, everyone else does both.

There is NO point in learning everything about Logic unless you will use it all.

Focus on what you need first.

It's like driving a Car - start the engine, put it in gear, and drive. Learn the rest as you go. Don't get overwhelmed with everything you don't need.

Make sense? :)

I have worked on both Pro Tools and Logic and I am a certified user of both. Logic is my choice.

I flew to LA and took the classes offered by this forum. Well worth it! David is a great instructor. It is a really great way to jump start the process and to make sure you are doing the basics correctly.

Christig

Of course Logic is deeeep and that is what it makes it so good and superior compared to other DAWs. And of course it comes with a price. Learning!

If you just poke around, you will only scratch the surface and get most likely a false sense of security or frustration when trying to make Logic work.

Again - you have to invest the time and learn it. And by the way, you will never stop learning nw things about it. There is always a shortcut or keystroke you didn't know or a different customization for a some workflow, etc

The Logic manual alone will do a good job but you might look for further reading or viewing. A lot of third party books and videos are great and I contributed my part to the Logic community by writing my "Personal Manuals" to focus on three things:

* more graphics

* more details

* more basic background info

They are free pdf downloads and available from my website at

http://homepage.mac.com/edgarrothermich/Manuals.html

And of course read the forums, where you always learn new things and workaround for problems with Logic. Yes - Logic is not perfect, but who is.

I am amazed by Edgar's manuals success. I would have assumed they were TOO thorough for most Logic users. Where the manual tries to simplify and only give you what is assumed you're going to need to produce music, Edgar's manuals go much, much deeper and reveal the inner workings of Logic.

Turns out simplifying things to present them nicely doesn't always work, and sometimes users need to really get down with the true inner workings of their tools. That's when Edgar's manuals come in.

Key commands!!! REMIX HOTEL! LogicProHelp! If everything was so simple, we'd all be rock stars! or sic ass producers!

"The forum has been indepensible.

David, Shorelick, Asher, and others, all wonderful and helpful."

Fuckin right!!! If you've met any of these guys in person, not only are they extremely knowledgeable but great people too!

Since the last REMIX HOTEL, I downloaded the BT key commands and actually got them under my belt pretty good. I can move pretty fast now, fast enough NOT to piss me off. Meoff, hahaha

I just record 9 tracks to tape and then bounced into Logic!! Now its my job to produce the album, the best way to learn!! I learned so much in the last 2 weeks its scary!! My friends/band are all impressed, but it just takes patience/reading/and posting.

Although, my computer has been actting a little slow. When I zoom in a lot and scroll, it's delayed. When I open the EXS and pick a patch, it can take 3-5 min to load!! I am running about 26 tracks of audio and about 2-3 Ultrabeats, and 2-3 Apple loops. I have a G5 2.3 PowerPC dual processor with 2.5 gb of ram.