Use G5 dual 2 now, moving to new MacPro soon...

I currently use a G5 dual 2 in my studio now, and I am about ready to move to new MacPro soon.

However, I seem to see here, that many people get the same errors of the same issues I get with Logic Pro... with the very latest Mac Pros. Is this just user set-up error, or will a new Mac Pro not solve most of these errors?

This will be a BIG move for me, and I make my living off the music, so I need to be very careful that It goes smooth.

1. all plugins have to upgraded to UB. Ugh. Some are too old. Some I have to purchase (WUP).

2. My UAD-1 & TC Powercore cards are the old style PCI cards!

3. I have years of old Cubase songs, and they are not updating 3.1 for UB! So they will force me to upgrade to Cubase 4 to be able to work on the old stuff in UB.

4. Lots of other software needs upgrading.

5. I'm sure there is more.... hidden problems that will arise.

at least my 2 Dell 24"s will still work. :)

Any suggestions or warnings from people who have made this transistion?

Right now Logic crackles when I use NI heavy plugs, unless I bump the buffer up.

But we all know that means tracking problems.

Will this type of issue be gone, or are you guys still needing to bump up the buffers and such with your new Mac Pros?

I know I will be able to use more Ram, but that does not seem to be an issue for the way I work now.

Who has upgraded and seen issues go away due to that upgrade?

Right now I'm working pretty good, but I do get a lot of errors.

Core Audio Error.

Sync Midi & Audio error.

Mystery errors.... (see other post)

etc etc....

Thanks

I currently use a G5 dual 2 in my studio now, and I am about ready to move to new MacPro soon.

However, I seem to see here, that many people get the same errors of the same issues I get with Logic Pro... with the very latest Mac Pros. Is this just user set-up error, or will a new Mac Pro not solve most of these errors?

This will be a BIG move for me, and I make my living off the music, so I need to be very careful that It goes smooth.

1. all plugins have to upgraded to UB. Ugh. Some are too old. Some I have to purchase (WUP).

2. My UAD-1 & TC Powercore cards are the old style PCI cards!

3. I have years of old Cubase songs, and they are not updating 3.1 for UB! So they will force me to upgrade to Cubase 4 to be able to work on the old stuff in UB.

4. Lots of other software needs upgrading.

5. I'm sure there is more.... hidden problems that will arise.

at least my 2 Dell 24"s will still work. :)

Any suggestions or warnings from people who have made this transistion?

Right now Logic crackles when I use NI heavy plugs, unless I bump the buffer up.

But we all know that means tracking problems.

Will this type of issue be gone, or are you guys still needing to bump up the buffers and such with your new Mac Pros?

I know I will be able to use more Ram, but that does not seem to be an issue for the way I work now.

Who has upgraded and seen issues go away due to that upgrade?

Right now I'm working pretty good, but I do get a lot of errors.

Core Audio Error.

Sync Midi & Audio error.

Mystery errors.... (see other post)

etc etc....

Thanks

Eric, unless you absolutely have to IMHO this is a poor time to upgrade.

1. There are existing bugs with Logic on the MacIntels, mostly tempo related, that do not exist on G5s. If there are any bugs/problems that exist on G5s and not on MacIntels also I am not aware of them.

2. Leopard comes out in October and will be pre-installed on whatever generations of MacIntels exist at that point and it promises to have a lot of Core audio improvements, not to mention ram usability improvements.

3. At that point the same priced machine will be more powerful than the present ones and one as powerful as the present one will be cheaper.

My advice is to hold the fort.

Thanks for the info and advice Jay.

I always wait until a new batch of Macs come out, and then I buy a "floor model" ... of the "last generation fastest".... so I get it at a better price.

So if I wait until October or later, I will still need to again wait until the very next generation to get the good price I usually aim for.

Also, the money burns a whole in my pocket. It seems to dwindle away on small items if I don't make the purchase. :)

Buy the way... Melrose Mac is THE very best place to purchase Macs these days here in LA.

Anyone who knows Sandy (the owner) will confirm this.

Eric

I always wait until a new batch of Macs come out, and then I buy a "floor model" ... of the "last generation fastest".... so I get it at a better price.

So if I wait until October or later, I will still need to again wait until the very next generation to get the good price I usually aim for.

Also, the money burns a whole in my pocket. It seems to dwindle away on small items if I don't make the purchase. :)

Buy the way... Melrose Mac is THE very best place to purchase Macs these days here in LA.

Eric

I understand.

That said, the bottom line is that there are MORE, not fewer, issues with Logic on the MacIntels than on the G5s so while you definitely will gain power it may indeed be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire.

Eric

I understand.

That said, the bottom line is that there are MORE, not fewer, issues with Logic on the MacIntels than on the G5s so while you definitely will gain power it may indeed be a case of out of the frying pan into the fire.

Well, that's not good. I will for sure wait for now Jay. Thanks for the heads up.

BTW, what are some of the issues that Intel guys are dealing with that I am not with my G5? Just so I know what to watch for as far as fixes etc?

• 2 weeks later...

Upon opening a song with some plugs, soft synths and audio one can easily get a core audio overloads when the hard disks, ram and CPU is practically idling and a fairly high buffer setting.

So one must play, stop a few too many times to get this ti go away.

so far that's all I'm against, for me as long as I know I can goof with that pretty quick, but it seems kinda silly.

I have no regrets going to the Mac Pro but mind you I was running a G4 1.25 single core before.

Later

I don't get this.

With my Dual G5, I don't seem to get many more of these errors than all the guys with the new MacPros?

So we have gridlock in LA....

Then they add 3 more lanes...

and the very next day we have gridlock again? With the same number of cars.

Oh well.. that's not a very good analogy.

Deepswing,

I don't know what your budget is, but if you kept the G5 around after your Mac Pro purchase, that would solve half of your compatibility issues (see Cubase, for example). Then there is always the added benefit of noding the two together.

I'm with Jay about waiting though...unless absolutely necessary.

X