Guitar controlling Logic Pro

sun b

yo board

i'm gonna go looking for threads on this subject tonight but i wanted to post this in the hope of help from someone who's trodden this digital way getting back to me from a position of experience

i'm new to logic and trying to set up a guitar synth with the program.

in the past, using the roland gi20, i have usually addressed my hardware sampler module in mono mode, ie one string per midi channel, this gives gr8 tracking.

here and now the gi20 is hooked up to logic over usb, working fine

with basic connections sorted my 1st move thereafter was to set up environment to let me control a multi instrument by unchecking boxes 1 through 6, thus letting me have channels 1-6 as sub-channels

this is also working ok.

i then set bend range on sculpture preset to 12 (linked) to conform with the 12 range set on my gi20

but still bad bad bad tracking! help! strange floaty tuning afflicts the performance, though actual triggering is fairly accurate, not what i would expect from my sampler though, which is rock solid

i suspect the process of using subchannels. maybe some kind of overload situation. i'd like to set up instruments one to six in the arrange window to respond to strings one to six, but can't seem to get there. has anyone gone this route with good results?

very glad to be here, respect to the makers and shakers in music!

sun b

thats the nature of tracking with guitar midi. its more of a sckether than a real controller IMO.

i have the GI20 or 10... i forget, the silver box.

it has difrent tracking presets so i keep changing dpending on my needs . it has the preset that will track everything at the same velocity which is the one i mainly use so i can track chords and melody. then i go to the matrix editor and change and erase the extra notes.

and thats basically why guitar midi hasnt been a success. to make really work good u need the axiom or other really expensive stuff an di heard its kinda the same.

i disagree strongly

fender wouldn't be making roland-ready strats if midi guitar was a failure.

the gr33 is pretty near perfect tracking-wise but the sound-set is sad, a big letdown

then i discovered mono mode and suddenly the gi20 was tracking almost as good as the gr33

the fact is my logic soft-synths are tracking no way anything like as well as my hardware modules and i need to know why and what i can do to set it right.

so. please, anyone out there with constructive ideas, i need some guidance

btw pat metheny's no failure either

i suspect the process of using subchannels. maybe some kind of overload situation. i'd like to set up instruments one to six in the arrange window to respond to strings one to six, but can't seem to get there. has anyone gone this route with good results?

I don't think there's any overload going on... I mean the tracking doesn't happen in Logic, and I'm not sure what could be the problem In Logic. I'm not sure I understand fully... do you send pitch bend information on all six strings? could it be that there is conflicting pitch bend information sent? Do you need it to be divided?

As for setting up 6 tracks in the arrange, I can certainly help with that, where are you at now, and what doesn't work?

yes, pitchbend is handled this way much more efficiently. in so called 'mono mode' where the strings are divided among six midi channels you also get much better tracking. this is a main part of the reason why i made the move to logic from mpc3000 where i could not record on six channels simultaneously

you may be right about the problem not being in logic but for now i want to abandon the subchannel approach and set up six tracks to record simultaneoulsy on midi channels 1-6. then i'll save this as a template for guitarsynth recording

if you could talk me through this david you'd be setting an ignoramus free :?

What you describe in your first post is the way to create 6 different MIDI, one per track, to control the same instrument. You can try creating 6 individual instruments (New > Instrument in the environment) and assigning each one to a different track, setting each one to a different MIDI Channel, but all to the same MIDI Port. But I strongly doubt that will make any difference at all.