my speakers are panned more to one side

DJ GOSHER

You mean if you play a mono file perfectly centered in Logic, it plays more toward one side? You might have some panning setting that is off center in your audio interface software (if any). Otherwise, adjust the levels of both speakers so that signal is centered.

the last time it happened to me i fixed it in system preferences but cant seem to find it now?

i was listening to a cd on itunes and it was more panned to one side

'Well there's no pan control in the Mac's Sound System Preferences, so if anything it's got to be a control panel that was installed for your audio interface..'

Sure there is!

System Preferences/Sound/Output

There's a slider dead centre called 'Balance', and mine also for some reason keeps shifting itself left...

Weirdness indeed, but easily reconfigured.

Sure there is!

System Preferences/Sound/Output

There's a slider dead centre called 'Balance', and mine also for some reason keeps shifting itself left...

I guess it depends which device you're using and how its driver is configured. None of my devices have a balance control, and the mac built-in drivers don't have one either.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to ressurect an old issue, but I didn't want to make a new post for this one.

There are many cases of the sound balance 'drifting' to the left or the right all by itself (see Apple Discussions for more evidence).

I've searched for a way to script it so that I could just execute an applescript and have it reset perfectly to 0 but no joy so far.

As for the cause? The speculations involve a bug in the use of the volume keys (up/down) in OS X, particularly in rapid succession at high CPU loads, causing the balance to shift L or R. This is an issue that has gone unresolved for at least four years now - several versions of Tiger right up to the latest.

No doubt they improved the code for Leopard, but there's no way I'm upgrading to fix such a simple problem.. in all honesty I think the problem is embarrasing and Apple should really have dealt with it way back!

Until then people (like me) who suffer from this problem should check out the following http://www.whamb.com/balanced/