Patches selected don't "stick"

MikeShapiro

I frequently use the instrument select dialog box to set the patch of some external Gigastudio servers. Below is an illustrative screen capture, just in case this is vague.

My problem: upon re-loading my Logic file, the instrument settings sometimes change! I'll have one of those patches selected when I save, and when I reload, then patch is completely different. This doesn't happen consistently, but frequently enough to be a huge hassle, and make me feel insecure about my mixes. Right now I have to manually go through each patch to make sure it didn't change.

If anyone has any ideas why this could happen, or knows of a solution, I'd be very appreciative.

http://mikemusic.com/gfx/LogicScreenCapSmall.jpg

I've had that happen, and I was suspecting that maybe the hardware instrument was sending program change info that updated the program change info in Logic...

In any case I found the most reliable way to make sure this NEVER happens is to record the program change info right on the track:

Press pause, record, uncheck and check the program box again. Do that for each track.

blah.jpg.9099e7a76f8de5c6c63fbc73ff373c0d.jpg

I've had that happen, and I was suspecting that maybe the hardware instrument was sending program change info that updated the program change info in Logic...

In any case I found the most reliable way to make sure this NEVER happens is to record the program change info right on the track:

Press pause, record, uncheck and check the program box again. Do that for each track.

Great suggestion. A bit of a pain, but I'd rather do work than feel like my mix is changing under my feet.

Man, they need to revamp this DAW in a big way.

One thing you could try (I didn't think to try back when this happened to me): choose File > Song Settings > MIDI, click the Input Filter tab and check the Program Change checkbox to filter incoming program change.

See if that helps?

Hmm... looks like MidiOverLAN cp doesn't even have the MIDI IN checked, so theoretically no program change messages should be getting through.

(Doesn't mean they're not, of course.)

Meta-tip: It looks like the "Insert Instrument Settings as Events" command will do this automatically. (Though it'll also stamp the pan and volume settings, which may not be as desirable.)