quick MIDI query

wilx

Logic, and general MIDI sounds:

Currently, when I have a MIDI track in Logic (GM, rather than a MIDI-powered audio instrument), I get no sound - although my MIDI messages are recognised by Logic.

Also, exporting a MIDI file gives me a file where every instrument is piano.

This ain't an urgent thing, but I'd like to fill in my knowledge on what's going on here...

I just assumed that creating a MIDI track rather than an audio instrument track would default to playing general MIDI sounds, without me having to setup anything...

I didn't consciously route the MIDI track to anything, and to be honest I'm not entirely sure how I'd do it!

Also, exporting a MIDI file gives me a file where every instrument is piano.

That is how the QuickTime Player plays a midi file, whatever app has made it. If drums are set to Channel 10 you should get drum sounds but otherwise it is all piano.

Noo... of course not! That would make Quicktime a piece of crap! Here's a MIDI file I created in Logic that plays various instruments in Quicktime (and no piano in sight).

Just make sure each MIDI Channel has the program change included in the MIDI file.

Someday.mid.zip