Renaming Audio Tracks & Instruments??

dazzgriff

Here is one for u all, when u load & use audio units such as minimonsta, v-station & Abysnth 3 etc u normally double click the track and rename & reference it to the sound or audio file u r using. But why when u reload the song the tracks are either "Untitled"! or ".aupreset" which is a new one on me. But when u try and rename u cant? Its ever so anoying when u are dealing with so many tracks :x

Any ideas how to rectify this prob

cheers

Not sure what's going on in your case, but don't confuse audio object name and track name. In fact I would suggest you start by only using audio object name. To change an audio object name, either click the name in the object parameter box (top of the channel strip on the left), or Option-double-click the name in the track header.

On a similar tip, anyone else have issues with Audio Object names not always showing up in the mixer strips? IE, I usually only have the audio object names (Instruments, audio tracks) on my arrange tracks, I don't use the track name feature. What's weird is that usually all the mixer strips reflect the proper names, but only one or two will be blank. I then need to go back and name thosee arrange 'tracks' in order to see a name in the mixer.

Is this just me?

What's weird is that even in a brand new project from a new autoload, only 1 or 2 mixer strips show this issue.

Hey David, I was told by a long time Logic user to never change the audio object name because stuff get out of wack because logic deals with things in alphabetical order. I do remember it getting kind of confusing so I went with using tracks names and then I could at least tell what audio objects I was using. What are your thoughts on this?

Hi David, the weird thing is, is after u re-open and u get the untitled and other crap when u hold the alt button and double click u can actually see your original name u used but as soon as u hit return its back to untitled!

I have had this prob for ages, i have even done a fresh wipe on my computer (not cus of this prob).

:?

I'll read these threads when i am back in my studio and try all your suggestions

Happy programming! :lol:

I've been experiencing this problem also, only seems to happen on third party plug-ins.

Very strange, happens exactly how dazzgriff has described.

Are these particular third-party plug-ins which also have a slightly odd naming behaviour on their GUI's & which don't seem to allow the key commands to scroll through your presets (as discussed in another recent thread here.)

Justin-Ch - you can change an object name in the Arrange and the Environment but not the Mixer.

Regarding Object/Track naming issues:

Some 3rd party AUs don't report a preset name to the arrange track, some do.

If you Option-drag a "non reporting" instrument in the mixer to a new track, that track (not object) will re-name itself "untitled" in the Arrange. OTOH, an option-dragged instrument that does report will retain it's preset name in the new arrange track.

Once you have manually renamed a track (not an object), Logic assumes that's the name you want it to permanently keep and will ignore preset name changes coming from any instrument.

Regarding track/object naming..... this is what I do, it's very convenient......

Changing a track name: Command-double click and type

Changing an object name: Option-double click and type

BUT, sometimes it's easy to get confused about whether you're changing the object name or the track name so if, like dassgriff says:

* the weird thing is, is after u re-open and u get the untitled and other crap when u hold the alt button and double click u can actually see your original name u used but as soon as u hit return its back to untitled! *

What is probably happening is that the "untitled" you're seeing is actually the track name, not the object. That's why when you Option-double click you see the object name you already gave it.

I manage to avoid the track/object name confusion by always having autotrack zoom enabled. That way, I see both the object name and the track name at the same time when I have that track selected.

Regarding what a "long time Logic user" told JPZ, well if that works for him or her, then cool. But the thing is, naming an object will actually make it easier to see which objects are being used because it's name will show up in the track menu as "Bass" or "Strings" or whatever and you know that it's already being used. If you want to keep your renamed objects at the top of the list, put a number before each name - "1 Bass" "2 Strings".

But it doesn't really matter to me because I always have my mixer in non-global mode so it follows the Arrange window's order of tracks.

Finally: Track/Oject names in the mixer....

The Mixer channel strip names will display as renamed tracks OR objects but it will go with whichever one you've done first!

Regarding what a "long time Logic user" told JPZ, well if that works for him or her, then cool. But the thing is, naming an object will actually make it easier to see which objects are being used because it's name will show up in the track menu as "Bass" or "Strings" or whatever and you know that it's already being used. If you want to keep your renamed objects at the top of the list, put a number before each name - "1 Bass" "2 Strings".

B

So is there any method universally considered better. I think I got freaked out with named objects because when I went to assign new tracks depending on what was selected the names got all jacked up, especially when doing vocals takes when I was using the same object. It is true that if you name the object then you know which voices you have left

Are these particular third-party plug-ins which also have a slightly odd naming behaviour on their GUI's & which don't seem to allow the key commands to scroll through your presets (as discussed in another recent thread here.)

Quite possibly, think it happens with the Imposcar plugin but I'd have to check. Knowing my luck when I try it to see if it happens it won't do it.