Mixing/Automation question - setting fader values

John DeBorde

hello,

I'm a long time DP user, and learning Logic at the moment.

Is there a way to set a fader to a specific value either by typing it in on the channel strip, or selecting an automation node and assigning it a specific dB value?

I figured out how to open the automation event list, but all the values are in 0-127 increments. Is there a way to see them as dB? Also, it appears that my faders only available values are similarly scaled, ie -2.9, -3.4 etc. I can't seem to set a fader to -3dB for example. Is there a preference somewhere that I need to set?

I have lots of other questions too, but this is the one vexing me at the moment.

much obliged!!

john

You need a Logic control to get access to 10 bit resolution (1,024 steps of volume level).

You can try to fake it by adjusting the volume in the numerical display on the track header in Automation view, but that doesn't seem to work properly in my experience.

Workaround: The linear phase EQ's gain fader lets you adjust gain in .1dB increments if you use a mouse's scrollwheel.

Oh and you used to be able to enter a value directly by double-clicking on a fader, but this got broken somewhere down the line...

You can try to fake it by adjusting the volume in the numerical display on the track header in Automation view, but that doesn't seem to work properly in my experience.

If you hold the option key while adjusting that numerical display, you get very fine resolution control.

If you hold the option key while adjusting that numerical display, you get very fine resolution control.

Really? Doesn't work for me here: 7.2.1 on PPC. Even if somehow I write automation that goes from -0.3 to -0.2 to -0.1 to 0, the Channel Strip doesn't follow that and jumps around.. it's not usable - at least here on my machine.

I can do this on my PPC w/ 7.2.3. Is there a way to transfer this setting to a node?

IE, I can adjust it in the numerical display box, but i can't get the nodes to respond that finely when I am dragging them around.

thanks a million, btw!

john

Here's a short run I did in Latch mode. The first I recorded just dragging from the numerical field to about the top of the Arrange window and back. The second I did the same move, but holding the option key.

I'm on 7.2.3, but I'm sure I've been doing this since version 5 or 6. Not sure why you're having problems with it. It tracks here beautifully.

Hmm . . maybe a mouse issue?

Automat.jpg.e09acf1e65d3ec66a1b55a6d2b008517.jpg

Write that automation in latch mode and then move it around if necessary?

hmm...i was sorta hoping to find a method that is a little less of a cludge.

I must admit I'm kinda bummed that the resolution in the mixer is so low. Kinda surprised too actually. here's hoping that'll be fixed in the next version.

thanks for the speedy replies tho. :) You guys shouldn't feed me, I might come back. ;-)

john

Here's a short run I did in Latch mode. The first I recorded just dragging from the numerical field to about the top of the Arrange window and back. The second I did the same move, but holding the option key.

I'm on 7.2.3, but I'm sure I've been doing this since version 5 or 6. Not sure why you're having problems with it. It tracks here beautifully.

Hmm . . maybe a mouse issue?

I'll have to give this a try. BTW, I seem to have noticed that gives me one degree of fineness, and gives me an even greater degree of fineness.

just thought I'd add that to the pot.

john

I must admit I'm kinda bummed that the resolution in the mixer is so low. Kinda surprised too actually.

It's not. Open the Automation Event Edit window. If you click on the little round 001 101 button, you'll see "all" the values. In the above screenshot, it recorded over 28 steps to get from +1.2dB to +1.4dB.

I've used some very high end audio test gear that doesn't have that good a level resolution.

I must admit I'm kinda bummed that the resolution in the mixer is so low. Kinda surprised too actually.

It's not. Open the Automation Event Edit window. If you click on the little round 001 101 button, you'll see "all" the values. In the above screenshot, it recorded over 28 steps to get from +1.2dB to +1.4dB.

I've used some very high end audio test gear that doesn't have that good a level resolution.

do those values show up as dB's for you? I have 2 nodes with a straight line between them, and that button revealed several additional numbers underneath what was originally there, none of which is a dB value as far as I can tell.

There are several different no's (looks like they are 8-bit, ie <128), but I can't tell what any of them mean.

john

do those values show up as dB's for you?

No. These are simply the values Logic uses to represent the automation. Not editable by the casual user. I think to really answer your question, no you can't edit a single node with high precision. There's a thread I got sucked into over here:

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36073&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

which this issue was discussed in painful detail.

do those values show up as dB's for you?

No. These are simply the values Logic uses to represent the automation. Not editable by the casual user. I think to really answer your question, no you can't edit a single node with high precision. There's a thread I got sucked into over here:

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36073&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

which this issue was discussed in painful detail.

checked it out - thanks for the link. very informative!

-john