Crashing after update

Goergtn

Hmmm, I got rid of that plug-in cache and still crashed. Launched without the audio driver and it came up !

Now, is this the driver for the RME ff800? When the crashing first started, one of first things I did was check for updated drivers. Found RME had one and I installed it. I am now running version 3.27.

What to do ?

Sorry for the bump, but feeling a little lonely on page 3.

I've tried re-installing the RME driver and still no luck. When I get 10.2 to launch, without the core audio driver, I tried setting the audio preferences to built-in speakers/mic. When I hit "apply changes" it crashes.

I'm at a loss of what or how to troubleshoot next. Any ideas?

I don't believe that this is driver related.

It looks like it can be related to the plug-ins on your user folder or the permissions on that folder.

Something is not right with your user account.

You could try and troubleshoot this further but it has already wasted many days of your life.

I would use the new account instead. Move all your important data there and make it the default.

Thank you for your efforts, Eric. Not the answer I wanted to hear, but sort of expected.

I did not look forward to transferring all important data to the new user account, so I thought I'd use the fast-switching idea, and just log-on to use Logic. Started with this idea and was confronted with alerts to re-register software and NI libraries.......

So, I'm sticking with 10.1.1 on my usual user/account. Maybe there will be a 10.2.1 in the near future that addresses my rare (but not unique) problem. Maybe somebody at Apple will look at my two dozen crash reports and tell me what is wrong. Maybe when I can get to my Disc Warrior stuff (I'm in temporary digs till I move in November) I can get a more thorough permission repair done.

No complaints with 10.1.1 - just disappointed I can't get at the new stuff.

If you want to continue to trouble shoot you can proceed by trying to install the plug-ins you mentioned to your Main Library.

That's the default location.

I would also start scouting the folders that Logic uses and see if the permissions look strange.

Select a folder and press Option-Command-I to show the inspector. You can now navigate wherever you want and the inspector will show your selection.

Look at the bottom of the inspector, where you have the permissions, and see if you can find any anomalies.

Remember that running "fix permissions" in Disk Utility does not do what you think it does - it just sets some OS stuff back to the default permissions. It won't fix items in your user account that have "difficult" permissions set - so it's worth check on the permissions, as Eric says, to see if anything looks funky...

I have done as you guys suggested, but no go. I put all my plug-in components in the main/audio/plugins/components folder, trashing older duplicates. I checked permissions and found the audio folder did not have my username listed, so I added it and had it applied to contents.

A couple months ago I added a Kronos audio/midi driver (usb). I've only used it that way for its editor. In Logic it is hooked up with 5-pin din as a sound source only. Should I hunt this down and trash it?

I had a similar problem related to this post involving not being able to launch Logic 10.2 after a content update until after creating a new admin account. Thank you very much for that suggestion Eric.

I did not want to have to use this new account to run Logic, so I decided to see what may be the difference between the two accounts.

Under the new admin account: "/Users/logicadmin/Library/Application Support/Logic" I found the following files:

drwxr-xr-x 4 logicadmin staff 136 Sep 6 11:26 .

drwx------+ 14 logicadmin staff 476 Sep 6 11:15 ..

-rw------- 1 logicadmin staff 49152 Sep 6 11:26 .Alchemy_Preset_Ratings_And_Tags.db.swp

-rw-r--r-- 1 logicadmin staff 44032 Sep 5 10:16 Alchemy_Preset_Ratings_And_Tags.db

The directory itself had the following permissions:

drwxr-xr-x 4 logicadmin staff 136 Sep 6 11:26 Logic

In the same directory under my existing account I found a single file called "Logic" with the following permissions:

-r--r--r--@ 1 10867355 wheel 0 Jan 31 2009 Logic

I deleted the file because it looked to have a size of zero and only read permissions, owned by some account called "wheel".

macDaddy:Application Support danupdike$ rm Logic

override r--r--r-- 10867355/wheel for Logic? y

After the deletion of this file Logic was able to launch successfully from my original account. After successful launch it appears Logic was able to create the correct directory with the necessary content:

dr-xr-xr-x 20 root admin 680 Sep 1 19:02 Logic

I cannot find any /logicadmin/ file or folder in either one of my user accounts.

I go to /users/ and all I see are 3 folders - my original account, my new account, and shared. No logicadmin.

I go to library/ app support (mine or the systems) and no file like that there either.

Remember seeing "wheel" on a couple permission lists when poking around my files yesterday. Found it on my components folder, deleted wheel, and changed the rest to r+w. Still crashed.

Any ideas?

Success !

Went to (me) / library / application support / logic

That "logic" folder, I had already removed "wheel" from the permission/sharing list, but this time I changed "system","admin",and "everyone" to Read & Write. Viola!

Many thanks to Eric for not giving up on me. And to Dan for finding something I never would have found.

(Another) Dan

• 2 years later...