Multiple controller (Hyperdraw) lanes in the Matrix editor?

clonewar

I'm a recent Mac / Logic convert still getting up to speed on Logic. I'm pretty suprised to find that only one Hyperdraw lane can be displayed in the Matrix editor at a time. I'm used to working in Cubase, where a lot of times I'll have 3 or 4 lanes opened in the editor, espcially when using instruments like the Garritan Strad.

How do you guys work with controller data? It seems cumbersome to have to open several Matrix editors of the same midi region. I have a feeling like I need to spend more time with the Hyper Editor, I'm just so used to seeing the midi data in the Matrix editor with the controller data directly below.

Thanks!

Michael

You've got several choices, but either Hyper Editor, or don't forget about the Arrange window. Depending on your workflow you might or might not like this, but...

You can use the Arrange window to assign several tracks to the same instrument. Then you can have several regions at the same position, each containing a different kind of MIDI CC data. Then you can display all of them at the same time, one below the other, always in sync. But you still need a Matrix or Score editor to edit the MIDI notes.

Thanks David! I'm going to try using the Arrange window like you suggested. I'm still amazed at how many ways there usually are to do the same thing in Logic..

You'll probably find that you'll be using several ways to do the same thing depending on what you're doing and the workflow you establish. For example, and germaine to this topic, I usually "finish up" with the Matrix editor and get note timing and durations done. Then I decide which controllers I want for a track and create a Hyperset for it in the Hyper editor because I like to edit velocities and controllers at the same time for that final polish, so to speak.

My point is that Logic allows you to do it "your" way, rather than its way. Not true for everything, but at least for the important stuff!