Feeling good about 9 hour Logic Session

I just wanted to say that I had a wonderful experience with Logic last night/this morning.

Not that I have very many bad sessions, but I traveled back to Memphis to work with some old friends, and we had a great time.

They use a G4 PB with Logic express. I brought my MBP 2.0 ver.1 with Logic Pro.

I rarely use it for much because I usually am working in the studio with the BIG Guns, but this was the longest Logic session on this computer.

I was really pleased with the session.

It was mostly all audio, but we created some groove templates and replaced some snares, used a lot of key commands. used the export all regions functions, solo and bounce. We used FreeG, W1 and Logic plugs as well including ultrabeat.

This boosted my confidence with this machine.

24 tracks audio 24 bit 44100 on internal 5400 rpm hdd

3-5 tracks Audio Instruments at times

8 busses and Auxes

all tracks had at least 2 Plugs

using internal audio

Eb

No no no no NO.

Remember, you CANNOT run multiple audio tracks from a 5400rpm drive, its impossible, all the Logic experts agree.

Soooo, you must have imagined it, yeah, thats it, you were REALLY using Digital Performer were you not ?

And magic 'shrooms....

No no no no NO.

Remember, you CANNOT run multiple audio tracks from a 5400rpm drive, its impossible, all the Logic experts agree.

Soooo, you must have imagined it, yeah, thats it, you were REALLY using Digital Performer were you not ?

And magic 'shrooms....

It isn't like I am shocked or anything. I was just pleased with the experience. I am not boasting that this notebook is the greatest thing since silicon. I still don't 100% trust it. I would rather work on my G5 PPC.

on another note -

I still have my 867mhz 12" PB with 640mb ram and Logic Platinum 6. The 12" PB has a 4200 rpm drive, and I have ran the same size session, and maybe a few larger sessions on it.

No no no no NO.

it's not that you can't Threlly, it's that you shouldn't.

X

p.s.

And here's why:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4547285

This is just opinionated, but has some fact to it.

How do you know how much free space is on my drive? The post "you shouldn't" is totally not true.

Commercial records with 40+ audio tracks and several instrument tracks have been made on the internal system drive of Mac Book Pros.

Once again, don't believe the hype. Just because it is recommended to use a dedicated audio drive doesn't mean you can't work without one.

Remaining empty space on a hard drive is displayed at the bottom of any Finder window.

Hey Threlly, although you confused me for a second or two, I quickly realized you were being ironic! I just wanted to say my piece. I agree with you, as a professional Logic consultant, I smile (or cry, depending on my mood) when I see threads on forums talking about how you NEED Disk warrior, or you NEED to defragment on a regular basis, or get Onyx, or get this or that 3rd party software, blah blah blah.

PS: I just got two 8 core 3GHz Mac Pros nodded together, loaded with 16GB of RAM each, do you know how I can overclock them to get a more powerful system? :mrgreen:

...as a professional Logic consultant, I smile (or cry, depending on my mood) when I see threads on forums talking about how you NEED Disk warrior, or you NEED to defragment on a regular basis, or get Onyx, or get this or that 3rd party software, blah blah blah.:

*sigh*

There go half of my suggestions to people. the other half being trash prefs. LOL!

David and Threlly,

I concede that using the internal drive is OK (see the thread that I posted and scroll up to see my post on that topic). Are you two saying that you have never needed Onyx or the like? Whenever Logic, Safari, or any other app for that matter stars acting up, I use Onyx to clean up my system and it runs almost as good as new.

And if you don't have to do that, could you explain to me why? That could be as valuable as anything else on this or any Logic related forum!

X

The question should be WHY would you want to use Onyx. I'm certainly not saying those software are useless, I'm saying a LOT of the people who recommend using it recommend it to users who don't need it, and often for the wrong reasons.

If your car makes a weird noise, you don't get a double exhaust pipe or start using Mobil 1 synthetic oil. You try to figure out where the noise comes from, or you bring it to a mechanic.

Personally I like to do things manually, so if Safari starts acting funny, I empty the Cache (Safari > Empty Cache) and I might delete the cookies or the auto-fill data (in Safari > Preferences) and if I still get problems I might look in the Finder to see if there are any cache or log file that I can clear for the app. But most of the time I don't have to do that.

As for the system cache routine maintenance, Mac OS X does a great job doing it automatically at night. Just leave your Mac on at night and you never need to worry about it.

In my experience, the more you mess with OS X, the more prone to problems you will be. Just leave it alone, and it will work right. If it doesn't, try a few little fixes, and if that's not enough, then reinstall. If that doesn't do it, you've got a hardware problem.

PS: I just got two 8 core 3GHz Mac Pros nodded together, loaded with 16GB of RAM each, do you know how I can overclock them to get a more powerful system? :mrgreen:

Go download the Adobe Premier Public Beta and import a couple of hddv clips. May not overclock, but I'll be damned if it doesn't render your machine useless.

And if you need a good Kernel Panic connect a Powercore and try the Intel beta software. Works every time!!