I know this is a stupid question but....

Hello all. As you can see I have more enthousiasm then knowledge in logic!! I have studied music before but I have never gone into computers so sorry if all this sounds silly!!!

I have a yamaha motif and a access virus. I want to record the factory sounds of these synths in logic pro 7. My audio interface is a M AUDIO Firewire 1814. And I would like to use the yamaha as the midi keyboard to parallely play the software sound banks of logic pro 7.

What would be the most basic and practical setup enabling to record the factory sounds of the yamaha and access virus, into logic pro?

Thanks to anybody who would have the knowledge to help with this setup. Please keep in mind that I am more then a perfect nerd and a donkey in computers! Thanks for your patience and expertise and for the detailed explainations!

As i live in Switzerland, we unfortunately do not have those lovely L.A. style workshops for apple training levels...to bad!!

Take care all.

Apart from short drum sounds I wouldn't do this unless you plan on getting rid of the keyboards.

To get all those factory sounds into Logic will involve so much recording, chopping & making up EXS instruments. Despite the filters, lfos & envelopes available on the EXS the resulting samples just won't have the flexibility of the original synth sounds.

What I think you should do first is go through all the sounds in Logic Pro's ES1, ES2 & the factory EXS instruments. If those aren't enough you've got the Rhodes, Hammond & Clavinet plus Sculpture & Ultrabeat. Then decide if there are any Motif or Virus sounds that really cannot be replaced by any of these. Perhaps just sample those although I would continue using them from the original hardware via the External Instrument plug-in.

There is a plug-in version of the Virus which you might consider exchanging the hardware for.

Sorry, I haven't given any advice on how to do what you want. Just offered some alternatives.

Apart from short drum sounds I wouldn't do this unless you plan on getting rid of the keyboards.

To get all those factory sounds into Logic will involve so much recording, chopping & making up EXS instruments. Despite the filters, lfos & envelopes available on the EXS the resulting samples just won't have the flexibility of the original synth sounds.

What I think you should do first is go through all the sounds in Logic Pro's ES1, ES2 & the factory EXS instruments. If those aren't enough you've got the Rhodes, Hammond & Clavinet plus Sculpture & Ultrabeat. Then decide if there are any Motif or Virus sounds that really cannot be replaced by any of these. Perhaps just sample those although I would continue using them from the original hardware via the External Instrument plug-in.

There is a plug-in version of the Virus which you might consider exchanging the hardware for.

Sorry, I haven't given any advice on how to do what you want. Just offered some alternatives.

thanks for your response. actually I was not calling to load the sound banks into logic. I am seeking to use logic like a multi track recorder.

best regards.

so, you want to be able to record the sounds from your motif and virus hardware in to Logic? and use the motif also as a MIDI controller for using Logic's software instruments? is that right?

yes!! I am not trying to load the sound banks into logic as perhaps I did not post my question in a clear manner. what I am plainly seeking to do is to use logic as a multi track recorder when playing on my synths. If this is possible, I was wondering if anybody would have the expertise to suggest the simplest way to make the connections on my setup.

Thanks a lot.

If you're going to be playing them live you just need to cable the audio line outs from your keyboard/module to the audio ins of your soundcard.

For the midi you'll need a midi cable and inferface if that isn't already on the soundcard.

thanks a lot my friend for your advice and for sharing your knowledge.

Best Regards.