What is the best interface wth the Symphony Mobile card ?

What is your question?

This is a complete system. The breakouts (Rosetta or AD/DA-16) handle the conversion, the option cards handle the interfacing, and the mobile card handles PCI access.

BTW, I use these converters (Rosetta 800s) in front of and behind a MOTU 2408. I don't get the fantastic latency advertised by the Symphony system, but the conversion quality is sure there. As good as TDM systems, probably less than a quarter the price.

What is your question?

This is a complete system. The breakouts (Rosetta or AD/DA-16) handle the conversion, the option cards handle the interfacing, and the mobile card handles PCI access.

BTW, I use these converters (Rosetta 800s) in front of and behind a MOTU 2408. I don't get the fantastic latency advertised by the Symphony system, but the conversion quality is sure there. As good as TDM systems, probably less than a quarter the price.

All this costs way more then a Ensamble rig., is it worth it?

All this costs way more then a Ensamble rig., is it worth it?

If you need it, it is worth it. If you don't need it, it's not! :wink:

Basically the Symphony system is going to bring you lower latency, the ability to record more tracks at the same time, and better sound quality. Worth it if you're a big recording studio tracking big projects and delivering commercial recordings on a daily basis, probably not worth it if you're a singer/songwriter/composer working from a home studio and recording one instrument at a time.

I have not used Ensemble, but I hear the converters are somewhat 'budget'...

IME, converter quality is very important to the quality of what I am able to produce - I do mostly recording, rather that working with software instruments, and I mix on an analogue board, so the quality (good or bad) of whatever converters I use gets 'magnified' somewhat by that process.

Like anything else, you get what you pay for.

IME, converter quality is very important to the quality of what I am able to produce - I do mostly recording, rather that working with software instruments, and I mix on an analogue board, so the quality (good or bad) of whatever converters I use gets 'magnified' somewhat by that process.

The RME Fireface 800 i got rocks, lots if i/o, stable, everything you need, able to route things like Reason, DrumCore etc via different outputs back into channels and record them (until Logic allows us to bounce Instruments onto there own tracks one day)., etc etc.

But it is getting on my nerves to have to use software to lower the levels on my monitors (main outs)., Until my Mackie Universal Control Pro gets here i think i might just about loose it.

Ensemble at least has a volume knob., and i read somewhere people saying it is way worth it over RME and MH products., sounds tempting :)

The Ensemble's converters may not be as good as the Rosetta's but they are very respectable, certainly not what i would call "budget". They are as good or better than any that come with an audio interface under $2000 IMHO.

The Ensemble's converters may not be as good as the Rosetta's but they are very respectable, certainly not what i would call "budget". They are as good or better than any that come with an audio interface under $2000 IMHO.

Would you say they are better or the same as MH or REM's?

Would you say they are better or the same as MH or REM's?

Roughly equivalent. maybe a smidge better. The mic-pres are much better than the RME.

I may just get it now, i will ask if i can bring back the FireFace 800 and pay the balance.

:)

Ensemble and a Mackie Universal Pro with Logic is what i will go for.

Then the Avalon 737 and a TLM103

I have to have a sort of mobile Pro Tools rig to keep up with my HD system at the big room. I wanted to also ask you what interface your using with M-Powered Pro Tools?

I simply have a Ozone keyboard at my Disposal and was thinking of getting a M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge to link up to the Ensemble or FireFace 800 if the store wont let me trade it in :)

Yeah that statement made me cringe too...

The Ensemble converters are probably the best in its price range!!

If you compare the Ensemble and the Rosetta 800, you are comparing:

1) A $2,000 firewire audio interface with 8 A/D/A converters, 4 mic preamps, 4 instrument preamps, 2 headphone amps, software controlled, Logic integration...

with

2) A $3,000 box with 8 A/D/A converters.

It is pretty obvious that the converters in the second box (Rosetta) are going to be of higher quality. that certainly doesn't make the Ensemble's converters cheap, especially when compared against products in its price range!

Also the Ensemble uses the same clock as the Rosetta.