beat chooping in arrangement window

guata

i saw a video with a person who chopped up 4 diferent loops and then he put them ramdomly in another audio trac, thus making a new loop out of the four, my question whats the procedure to make theese slices aout of the loops, anyone

thwanks in advance

i use this method a lot, particularly with drum breaks and the like and i would add that it's still important to check they've sliced cleanly. for example if you're chopping a funky drum break it's unlikely that hits are falling exactly on 1/8 or 1/4 bars and by moving them so they do 'fit' will effectively quantize them thus losing the groove of the original loop. (i hear people doing this a lot!)

• 2 weeks later...
I tend to use strip silence more than this method for chopping loops, since most loops aren't really locked to a grid. But I like using this for pads and effect beds - chop it up quickly then delete every other slice, set a little fade in/out on each slice, and it's a good rhtyhmic bed for the tune. Then I'll use "Audio to MIDI Groove Template" to extract the groove from whatever loops or performance I'm using, and requantize those slices from the extracted groove, so they stutter along with the same groove as the rest of the tune.

Sorry for the OT, but real quick...

@ titwillow,

I noticed in your sig that you're planning on going RME, and that you're running a Quad PPC. Just wanted to let you know that while RME has a PCI-e card, the driver software is only being written for MacIntels. Just wanted to give you that lil' FYI in case you were considering the PCI-e route.

-=sKi=-

Supposing I chop up an audio file as suggested (holding the option key while cutting with scissors) and I have "search zero crossings" selected from the arrange menu at the same time. Will Logic then slice the audio file up in exactly equal 1/16 (or 1/32 note or whatever) pieces or will it shift the cuts slightly to waveform zero crossings.

If in fact it does do that latter then this would be especially interesting considering that Logic is not sample accurate in the arrange window, at least not for manual edits. Anyone know??

• 1 year later...
Hold option as you use the scissor to cut the first 1/8th note of a loop, and Logic will slice the whole region in 1/8th note slices. Depending on the loop, try 1/16th and 1/4 notes as well.

Is there some way to apply this method to the midi data in the piano roll? I've tried option+scissors and a few other things, but I can't quite make it work.

If so, it would do quite nice with drums.

Is there some way to apply this method to the midi data in the piano roll? I've tried option+scissors and a few other things, but I can't quite make it work.

If so, it would do quite nice with drums.

You can't slice a MIDI note in the Piano Roll, but you can slice a MIDI region in the Arrange area. So if you have a long note, just slice the region containing it, then merge all the regions, and you've sliced the note.

That's the same type of thing that I was asking a little while back.

IMHO - it seems like that was something the writers / creators over-looked.

It would've been a really handy feature for things like drum-rolls, etc.

Just to lay out a note (however long you want the roll), and then hold Option while cutting in the Piano Roll.

Just my humble 2¢

Waterboy, try out Windows>Keyboard input. With that you just pick a note value and a pitch and click it repeatedly until it fills up your bar. You can click either on the little input keyboard,which inputs a steady velocity, or if the red "In" button in the piano roll/matrix is engaged then your physical keyboard will input the note value that you've chosen in the keyboard input but at whatever velocity you're actually playing.