Best way to save Reaktor settings in a Logic song?

Kroy

I want to get to the bottom of this once and for all because too many times I've gone to open a song that uses Reaktor instances and either the Reaktor windows are blank and I have to locate the ensemble one by one or the settings are just lost.

How do others do this? Is there a foolproof way?

Also, when I click the save button at the top of the window, if the ensemble came from Applications/Reaktor 5/Library I always get a 'save as' dialogue that automatically navigates to the documents folder. What do others do when they want to overwrite a factory ensemble with some new settings/banks/presets? Do you save a copy of the ensemble? Or do you navigate to the original factory ensemble (time consuming) and overwrite it?

Or perhaps I should move the Library folder to another location where I can overwrite the ensembles?

yea I have the same problem with Reaktor, esp if I move the logic project file. my work around: soon as I get reaktor to sound the way I want, I bounce to audio. that also helps free up the processor too, reaktor can eat up CPU if your not careful.

I'm trying to find a way to be able to save Reaktor settings for each instance as part of the Logic song, without having to save ensembles etc. Is there a way? Can Reaktor be made to behave like most other soft synths, whose settings tend to be saved every time the Logic song is saved?

A way that doesn't necessitate bouncing to audio... (thanks for the suggestion - I've actually I've been doing that all along and it would be great to find a better way!).

reaktor seems to behave exceptionally well as a channel strip

that's how I do it

Please can you elaborate - I tried saving a Reaktor instance as a channel strip but the settings weren't recalled when I re-loaded it (junatik,ens).

OK, I've sussed out the best way to do this.

Load a Reaktor instance in Logic

Load an ensemble

Autosave dialogue box opens (if it doesn't click Auto Save button)

Keep both fields ticked (see below for field's meanings)

Click the folder icon

Create a folder inside the song folder called 'Reaktor'

Rename the ensemble name to (eg): song1 junatik.ens

When I hit save in Logic the ensemble and its current settings are saved

*Save this instance automatically

means the settings are saved when the Logic song is saved

*Automatic saving by default in this song

means the autosave dialogue box opens when each new ensemble is loaded

Edited by Kroy

I'm trying to find a way to be able to save Reaktor settings for each instance as part of the Logic song, without having to save ensembles etc. Is there a way? Can Reaktor be made to behave like most other soft synths, whose settings tend to be saved every time the Logic song is saved?

A way that doesn't necessitate bouncing to audio... (thanks for the suggestion - I've actually I've been doing that all along and it would be great to find a better way!).

reaktor seems to behave exceptionally well as a channel strip

that's how I do it

Please can you elaborate - I tried saving a Reaktor instance as a channel strip but the settings weren't recalled when I re-loaded it (junatik,ens).

not much to say, I open the ensembles and save them as channel strips and they work fine for me.

What is the advantage of saving the Reaktor instance as a channel strip, as

the following seems to work well as a method for saving Reaktor settings in a Logic song?

"Load a Reaktor instance in Logic

Load an ensemble

Autosave dialogue box opens (if it doesn't click Auto Save button)

Keep both fields ticked (see below for field's meanings)

Click the folder icon

Create a folder inside the song folder called 'Reaktor'

Rename the ensemble name to (eg): song1 junatik.ens

When I hit save in Logic the ensemble and its current settings are saved."

What is the advantage of saving the Reaktor instance as a channel strip...

I think the advantage of channel strips is that they are just references to the original ensemble (as opposed to copies when using Auto Save). Thus channel strips require much less disk space.

However as mentioned before, channel strips include only 'panel' settings of the ensemble, but not 'structure' parameters like eg. number of voices. That seems to be a specific problem with Reaktor.

So in conclusion, Auto Save is more foolproof but needs more disk space.

Thanks for the Channel Strip explanation and tip, Fred and Dave. I get it now (I don't know what I was doing wrong before - but it seems to work now).

It looks like a useful feature. It would seem to be a good way to save favourite Reaktor presets for quick easy recall - or a quick loading method for favourite ensembles.

But with this method care is required! Saved as a Channel Strip Setting, the setting for a particular song is then outside the song folder. When moving songs to another computer, remember to copy the Channel Strip Settings folder across (users/Library/Application Support/Logic/Channel Strip Settings).

To avoid this necessity, if a particular setting becomes used by a song the ensemble+current setting should be saved in the song folder using the Auto Save feature.

guys ... if you save your reacktor presets just using the logic window ...then you run the risk of not saving the reaktor file if you change it ... to make sure you save the exact reaktor file that you are using you must save the settings as a 'snapshot' in the reaktor ensemble ... and make sure you save the ensemble as well ...

when you open the song - direct it to the saved ensemble and load your snapshot from reaktor ....

hope that helps ...

Saving the Reaktor settings as a Logic plug-in setting is totally unreliable. Just try it with Sinebeats 2.0.1 and you'll see what I mean. It's so unreliabe that you lose the settings as soon as you save it. You can't get more unreliable than that!

*Plus*

IMPORTANT UPDATE ON SAVING AS A LOGIC CHANNEL STRIP SETTING

It seems Logic's Channel Strip Setting option for saving Reaktor settings is NOT 100% reliable. Try saving Sinebeats 2.0.1 and altering the Comp parameter in the Compressor section. It doesn't recall.

So far It would seem that the only safe method is to use Auto Save with BOTH options ticked and assign an Auto Save folder INSIDE the song folder. Then save a different ensemble for EVERY new instance of Reaktor used.