gurus muititimbral features in logic

genetiknz

hello there fellow logic users....i have been a cubase user for 4 years but after percasing this lovely mac pro have also bought logic for obvious reasons....i am fully addicted to my drum machine guru but cannot for the life of me find how to find its individual channels from within the plug it self...the joy of this fantastik piece of software is that you can process these individual channels ...where does logik hide them? lost without my toys.....gene :(

Make sure when you instantiate the instrument, you do it as a Multi Channel (i.e. not Stereo or Mono).

Then set up an Aux track and set your input to receive whatever channel Guru sends from.

I've taken a couple of screenshots showing you how it would be done with BFD. I don't know Guru, but I can't imagine it's all that different as all Multi Channel instruments pretty much work the same way in Logic. You just need to set up your outputs from Guru to your specifications.

p.s. the screenshots below are in reverse order, I don't know how to make them go the other way around.

2021501467_Picture4.png.32c73911d0f8d29bd7e7c08c8e57c07b.png

1598371986_Picture3.png.fd7206b9b450efa6a13915fdef74b75c.png

thanks for this reply ...i have got this far in already from getting down on the manual but was great to see the screen shots as it made it clearer for me but still i am recieving no sound thru the aux channels altho the indicators in the arrange window show sound out put ,,,it seems to me that the aux channels are recieveing the signal from the master out from guru and when i send from its sub channels i lose sound...god knows.any more ideas?

I forgot to mention one more thing, make sure the audio instrument where you instantiated Guru is set to receive on ALL midi channels. See the highlighted section in the screenshot below.

I hope this is what's going on for you and this is the solution. If not, I'm kinda stumped, but I'll keep racking the noodle. Let me know.

616040444_Picture1.png.f0dd5c8eca4153b167c5fa76874a5092.png

Once again folks people are confusing the terms Multi Timbral and Multi Channel.

So here for the sake of clarity:

Multi Timbral refers to an audio instrument/midi instrument's ability to assign different sounds to different midi channels.

Multi Channel refers to an audio instruments ability to send sounds to different auxes for control and processing.

So we have many audio instruments that can be used as Multi Timbral but not Multi Channel.

Then we have some, like the EXS24 that can be used as Multi Channel but not Multi Timbral.

Many, like Ultrabeat and Stylus RMX, can be both.

Many, like Ultrabeat and Stylus RMX, can be both.

Really? How can you assign different sounds to different midi channels in Ultrabeat?

Sorry I wasn't thinking clearly, UB is not multi-timbral.

Although if you wanted to independently control for quantizing etc:

1. Cable a multi instrument to it. Set UB to ALL.

2. Add the midi subchannels to the Arrange page.

3. Play in the part on the UB track and then choose Region > Split/Demix >Demix by note pitch.

4. Drag the parts to the appropriate tracks assigned to the sub channels.

well this is all great stuff team and i am totally aware of what multitimbral means and fxpansion Guru is diffinatly multitimbral , i have been using it for 3 years in cubase as just that .... but so how do i set it up in logik if not by sending to auxs....help i feel very stuck not being able to write drums the way i like as you can imagine......... :( :(

OK, out of curiosity I've looked at the Guru demo version. It turns out that Guru is NOT multitimbral but multichannel, just like Ultrabeat. So all you need in Logic is to assign Aux objects to the different outputs.

However, it doesn't seem to work in practice! I've checked the Guru option 'Send Pad types to sub-outputs 1-4', but nonetheless all pad sounds are going to the main output. Looks like a bug to me.

Maybe I'm missing something. Is anybody else using Guru successfully in Logic as a multichannel instrument?

thank you Fred B for your clarification . i hate being wrong ..lol.......and multichannel it is and for some reason it doesnt work as the auxs should pick up the guru sends but doesnt and altho the guru forum pro guy tells me it will by doing just this.... it damb well doesnt ....maybe it is a bug....please someone out there must use guru successfully..........

• 4 weeks later...