My markers MOVE subframes when they lock?!!?

NL268

I'm trying to make markers that are all on subframe 00 - the exact start of the frame. So I made them in the Arrange window and verified, by looking at the SMPTE clock in the control bar, that they were correct. They also display correctly in the marker event list.

However, when I LOCK these markers, the marker list changes typically pushing the markers back or forward several subframes. For example 01:00:01:05.00 now becomes 01:00:01:04.79 .... weirdly, in the actual arrange window with the marker strip, the markers seem to still be tied to the correct 00 subframe. So it's just the marker list that's screwed up.

Really annoying behavior, how can I fix the marker list to display things correctly?

Also, is there any way to snap all markers to exact frames?

Thanks in advance

This is actually totally normal for Logic. I agree, it's annoying, but there's no way to fix this other than to disable the view of bits in the Display prefs.

FWIW, I tend not to want to do that because I bounce cues from the leading edge of the frame, not from a particular bar. Though I use picture's BITC as my guide to do this, I like to see the bits so I understand what's going on, and where there might be a discrepancy. That said... you CAN turn off the bits and then the problem will appear to go away. I say "appear" because depending on the tempo you're working at, the discrepancy might be such that you can't see it, and you'll be as much as a 1/2 frame to nearly a full frame off the mark.

Lemme know if that just sounds like gibberish and I'll explain it further.

Yes, I don't understand.

Here's an image showing the direct discrepancy between the main SMPTE clock and what the marker list reports.

http://i.imgur.com/Y76NtNJ.png

All of these markers were right on frame until I selected all markers and SMPTE-locked, then some of them moved backward by as much as 1-3 subframes. Yet the main clock still reports them as being on subframe 00.

I'm asking which version of the SMPTE clock I should pay attention to, what's causing the issue and if there's any way to get them to match up.

Before I answer... Try this experiment: go into the Display Prefs and choose to display SMPTE without bits. Then look at the marker you have highlighted in the list. Does it change to be on frame 5 instead of frame 4?

And just to clarify... in the image you posted, SMPTE reads as 01:04:20:00 -- the position of the playhead. But the highlighted marker is approx. 29 seconds earlier. IOW, it doesn't look like you have a marker in your list for that SMPTE position. If you want to show a discrepancy at that position you need to have a marker at the same position as the playhead.

Edited by ski

• 7 years later...