jordi spawned this...

ChrisJ

I was looking at jordi's comments about banks and programs with audiofx.

I tried some things out and came up with this. Maybe you know about it, maybe you don't. But it's an interesting concept that might make life easier for banks and programs.

Here goes.

Create a External midi track.

On this track, change the output to channel 2. (you can do this via the track inspector), and have it send to channel 2 on an IACbus.

Put some midi on this track.

Create an instrument an es2 (or what ever) will do.

Change this track to channel 2. (you can do this via the track inspector).

Now select this track.

Press play.

What happens is the external midi sends the data from the external midi track out of logic and back to logic, but it's picked up by the ES2 channel.

Now if one looks at the External midi track one can see info for 127 midi options, all nicely named, and automat-able. And because this is send out via midi. As far as the es2 track it just thinks it comes from a midi source, not knowing or caring what that source is, and just 'perfoms' what's was sent - that includes - midi, automation, banks, programs, whatever. (from the external midi track)

Unfortunately, I dont have any plugins that clearly have set programs and banks and definitely switches so i cant really majorly test this, although i did some automation on a few of those 127 options and they worked. So if you have such a plugin that requires/uses/ banks and programs, maybe you want to try it out, and add to this.

But either way, I thought I would just share this anyway. Oh a side benefit, is that if you look at the lcd, as it plays it shows the chord names too.

Note: it does not like you selecting the external midi track when pressing play - so dont : )

Chris

PS you might need to select the external midi channel strip, right click, and check programs, and banks.