Peak vs. True Peak

It depends what you're doing: 

• Peak is the actual level of the digital samples in Logic. 
  • True Peak is the level of the analog signal that will be rebuilt if you convert Logic's digital output to analog. 

In general I have mine set to True Peaks & RMS.

So do you use True Peak because you send the signal back out to some analog gear or is there another reason? I read up a little on True Peak today after discovering that setting in the new Level Meter in Logic X but was unsure if True Peak has any relevance once the signal is digital and you plan to keep it digital.

IMO it's best practice to use only your ears most of the time, and your meters only when needed.  A painter doesn't use a meter to measure the width or length of her brush strokes. But she may use a meter when measuring the size of her canvas to make sure it will fit the frame. 

When I need to check wether my mix will fit the frame (meaning it won't clip my converters) then I use True-Peak, yes. The rest of the time I don't really need to monitor my peaks, at least not with that kind of precision that I'm going to wonder wether to use Peak or True Peak. For example when setting a recording level, I couldn't care less wether the meter I'm using is sample-peak or true-peak since I'm not going to shoot for a super precise value anyway. 

Obviously it depends what you do. If you produce audio for TV or broadcast for example you are required to hit specific numbers and therefore have to use your meters. 

Are Logics Channel Strip meters "Peak" or "True Peak"?

Logic's channel strip meters are sample-peak (a.k.a. "Peak"). 

When I need to check wether my mix will fit the frame (meaning it won't clip my converters) then I use True-Peak, yes. The rest of the time I don't really need to monitor my peaks, at least not with that kind of precision that I'm going to wonder wether to use Peak or True Peak. For example when setting a recording level, I couldn't care less wether the meter I'm using is sample-peak or true-peak since I'm not going to shoot for a super precise value anyway.

Are Logics Channel Strip meters "Peak" or "True Peak"?

Logic's channel strip meters are sample-peak (a.k.a. "Peak"). 

That's what I was looking for. Yup, I use my ears, of course. And I agree about not caring too much about the meters. The reason I'm focused on the meters at this time is that as I set up Logic X and my new projects and templates, I want to set things up with the proper understanding and application of gain staging. This is not something I focused on so critically previously and I found myself wasting a lot of time later in the projects tracking down "hot spots" and then consequently having to re-tweek the mix.

Thank you David!

• 2 weeks later...

If you gain stage, for instance to -18dBFS, you don't have to bother about True Peak or not. 

True Peak might be needed if you hit 0dBFS, e.g. during mastering, and you wan't to make sure that the final bounce, although samples are below the clipping level 0dBFS, doesn't create distortions in the analog stage of the converter (where the "recreated" wave can go above 0dBFS).