Playhead randomly jumps back to cycle start

shortshorts

I've been having this issue since switching to an iMac.

When I'm playing back in cycle mode, the playhead will randomly jump back to the beginning of the cycle area, and continue (starts over) to play.  It doesn't happen every time, but probably 25% of the time, which is too much to tolerate.  I've just been dealing with it but it's becoming a real pita.  It doesn't happen when recording.

Anyone have this happening?  Feel free to link to another post if this has been solved.

I typically use cycle mode as a one-time and easy to move locator - I should probably use a more efficient method, happy to take your lashings.

I'm running Logic 10.3.1 on a Retina 5K 27" iMac - 4ghz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD

• 2 years later...

Hi!

first time user here. I'm reigniting this thread because I have the same problem. I'm trying to write song lyrics over a cycled loop and the playhead randomly will jump back to the beginning of the cycle. It's very disruptive to my flow!

I tried "Reset All Preferences Except Key Commands" but no luck, any other ideas?

I'm running 10.4.4 on OS Sierra 10.12.6 MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch,Mid 2015 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7

thanks

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I just began to experience the same issues the OP reported (in 2017) and which my search showed me a few others have reported in the interim as well. @ckeyes888 can you say more about how or why an audio box converter would cause This? I don’t use one in my setup, but am curious how you came to this conclusion.

For me, this behavior started immediately after setting up my new Mac Studio two weeks ago. It happens dozens of times every day now, where the playhead jumps back to the left indicator while in the middle of a cycle. If I don’t have the cycle on, it’s not an issue. Typically, I am working with only MIDI, btw. 

Like David, I had never seen this before, and I’ve been using Logic for twenty years. It literally just began since moving from my Intel iMac to an M1 Max Studio Pro, and is happening all the time now. I’m stumped.

I always feel guilty for posting here when I rarely visit, but always know someone will take a stab at whatever it is I'm trying to sort out!

I'm more a cause-and-effect person, so tend to be obsessive about tracking down why something happens in the first place. But yes, both replies suggest a couple of possibilities relative to the fact the Komplete keyboard on my desktop is not yet officially supported yet in an M1 environment. I will try using a different controller for a bit to see if this still occurs. Just the fact that hitting a stop/start transport button on the controller will sometimes send the highest piano note at full velocity is a clue - not dissimilar to what you both are suggesting. I will post back in the off-chance it might help someone else sorting through similar woes. 

Hi JakobP

Only while sitting back to listen to something I have just added to the orchestration, so in playback mode. Never while recording, although the one caveat is that I do often use the capture take as recording feature, so it has spoiled a couple of those moments by jumping back before it reaches the measures I am working on. I am retraining myself to disengaged the cycle mode while composing this way. 

• 9 months later...

Sooo, i have had this issue for some time now. It started appearing Logic pro 10.7 ish (i think) Today i got mad and started ripping out cables to try and identify the culprit. And at the same time googling for someone who is experiencing the same problem.

For me the problem can be replicated when i connect my audio interface U-Phoria UMC1820 I never had this issue until 2022 (again "ish") But i know it worked flawlessly when i bought it in 2020 

Has anyone found a fix or workaround? Changing audio interface is not something i would want to do. What if other ones has the same problem.

Hi macmicke,

It still happens to me all the time, several times a day. At some point during that past 10 months I’ve had three different audio interfaces I was trying out, to downsize my studio. So I’m not inclined to think this was related given the issue persisting.

My sense , was and still is a Logic glitch that, while not universal, is happening to some of us.  I’ve seen others mention this elsewhere. Per JakobP’s question posed last year, and today, I can only add that my Komplete S-61 is the other connected device. Per my brainstorming last year, all relative devices and hardware have been updated to run natively. 

I’m in the habit of turning off the cycle when I need to not interrupt playback. But yesterday I needed to dub in MIDI and it jumped back to the start of the cycle before my take. 

The fact this got no traction after posting last year was as baffling then as now, and I had even forgotten I’d come here to try and resolve. Would love to see this go away, but it did but happen on its own yet, lol. 

I edited my typos, sorry! 

Edited by gpax

• 3 months later...