Missing Input Monitoring Button

tyeNewton

• 3 months later...
On 11/7/2022 at 7:55 AM, TheMusicTheMoment said:

Go to the logic preferences. In the audio section, select and deselect core audio!

I was also have this problem and this did the trick for me, but in the reverse - deselect and then reselect core audio.  This is very odd behavior though as the Input Monitoring was displaying on the channel strips but not track headers.  I tried clicking there a few times to get them to appear as another poster here said that worked for them but it did not for me.  Very frustrating...

6 hours ago, fuzzfilth said:

I'm not sure if this was in response to my post but this is not the issue I'm having.  I've never had the input device shown in parenthesis.  Also, the missing Monitor button happens both in projects where a different device than was used originally is selected and when it is the same device (I regularly use two, guitar direct from my Helix and my Scarlett 2i4).

5 minutes ago, JimN said:

I've never had the input device shown in parenthesis. 

Just to clarify - are we talking about this kind of parentheses ?

Bildschirmfoto2023-02-23um10_59_12.thumb.png.69f9c0c6eeb0081a4ac535d7536560f3.png

Also, the missing Monitor button happens both in projects where a different device than was used originally is selected and when it is the same device

Actually there are two reasons why Input buttons aren't shown, one of which is absent original device as per the above picture, the other is when their non-displayed state is recalled by a locked Screen Set, maybe you are experiencing both.

All that said, in most standard situations the Input button is not needed as rec-arming a track will switch that track to input anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fuzzfilth said:

Just to clarify - are we talking about this kind of parentheses ?

Bildschirmfoto2023-02-23um10_59_12.thumb.png.69f9c0c6eeb0081a4ac535d7536560f3.png

Actually there are two reasons why Input buttons aren't shown, one of which is absent original device as per the above picture, the other is when their non-displayed state is recalled by a locked Screen Set, maybe you are experiencing both.

All that said, in most standard situations the Input button is not needed as rec-arming a track will switch that track to input anyway.

Correct.  I don't have the issue where I see the parenthesis as shown in your post - that I have seen yet anyway.  However, I do have projects where I use both inputs, e.g. capture guitar through the Helix then switch and record vocals through the Scarlett as needed so perhaps that's the issue.  That's actually a common workflow for me.

As for the monitoring, I'd like to have it for vocals but haven't worried about it as I have a Scarlett model with the input/playback mix knob so effectively I can hardware monitor and blend to hear the levels I want but it can be a bit fiddly getting that dialed in.

I'm not sure I understand your last comment.  Without the input monitoring button to enable monitoring, I don't hear my vocals through Logic while recording.  Are you saying the rec-armed track automatically sets to input monitoring = on?

Thanks for your help!

1 hour ago, JimN said:

Are you saying the rec-armed track automatically sets to input monitoring = on?

Yes. 

If it doesn't, there' s a checkbox to be unchecked which some twisted software engineer's brain at Apple thought to better be enabled by default. It has caused countless situations like yours where people wanted to hear input while recording but couldn't.

Make sure the second-to-lowest checkbox is *un*checked:

lowerthree.png.9eee138824207c08d64e992f05035f19.png

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fuzzfilth said:

some twisted software engineer's brain at Apple thought to better be enabled by default. It has caused countless situations like yours where people wanted to hear input while recording but couldn't.

It's insane. If you knew how vehemently I've lobbied Apple about this nonsensical options that takes a two line sentence to describe and that should definitely be unselected by default. The reason for this? Because that's GarageBand's default behavior, so they wanted Logic to be like GarageBand for people switching from GB to Logic. 🙄

Hmm, I'll have to check this behavior again, it isn't what I recall happening when I recorded some vocals the other day.  That checkbox is, in fact unselected so that's not an issue.  Probably some user error on my behalf.  That has been known to happen... 🤪

• 2 months later...

I had this issue too. I fixed it by shrinking the track information section (where the input monitoring button should appear), right down then I think I switched the button off in the track header components and switched it back on. When I expanded the track information back to its usual size the input monitoring button had reappeared.