Darude - My Game preview

Darude

'My Game' @ www.myspace.com/darude

Like on the first single 'Tell Me' of my forthcoming 3rd album 'Label This!' Finnish singer Tonto Nuotio is on this one also as well as "Finnishized" native of Wales Gareth Evans adding nicely to the vocals. I kind of sampled this punk track I made (and which Tonto realized with actual instruments and his voice) and made it an electronic dance track with my friend and fellow Finnish edm producer Joonas Hahmo (check out his beautiful 'Together' and other tracks here). I'm so excited and proud to present you the results!

Since I worked on this one with another producer to get his vibe and sound on the track the actual electronic part of the track was initially built at Joonas' studio on Cubase. The lead and bass sounds come from Nord Lead 3, JP8000, Virus B and Atmosphere. When the parts were done we bounced them to audio and I took them back to my studio to my Logic project and finetuned the arrangement, tweaked everything some more and mixed it in the box. During one of his visits we ended up redoing the sub part of the bassline with the free CM101 (which is one of Joonas' favourite bass sources) and used the NL3 square a little louder only as the top end of it to give it some electro touch and let the Virus create some dirt in the middle for a perfect sandwich. Beginning at the last build-up I added a subtle Vanguard "trance pad" to basically follow and support the pumping guitar melody, to make the whole sound a little fuller and wider. All the compressing (lots!), EQ (even more!), delays, reverbs (except Waves RVerb on the vox) etc treatment is native Logic stuff.

As I'm Finnish and it's always nice to start everything here I'm pleased to tell that the main national radio station picked the track up the minute it was taken there and now it's exclusively on their heavy rotation playlist for the whole next week.

Let's hear the comments!

For the people who are familiar with my earlier productions: Although the two new singles are somewhat rockier or otherwise a little different than my earlier material there will be also female vocals on the album as well as instrumentals, so DA good old clue will still be there with DA energy and DA melodies bringing it all together to a kicking Darude album. ;)

Haha... LOVE it! Man it's so cool that you're getting into rock. This is like the best of both world if you ask this here French rocker with a passion for electronic music, who grew up with Prodigy and Pop Will Eat Itself and later discovered NIN.

I just really dig it. Trance Rock! I'm insane.. but I'm happy.

Question: how did you do all the crazy digital edits at the beginning? Love that s#!+.

And the kick kills. Is that a sample or a soft synth... or... ? And it sounds like the kick after the break is even better... but I'm not sure: is it just the same one, but sounding different because the mix is different or am I just dreaming or...?

David, thanks for the kind words!

The edits in the beginning were originally done to the stereo file of one of the listening demos because we thought that (especially in the original long mix) the "pure" punk part needed to be messed up somehow so people will get that it's eventually transforming to something else. I later redid all the edits on the "punk" multitrack part separately, mainly doing the same edits on the instruments but easing on the vox here and there for better intelligibility and here and there messing the vox up even more for greater "effed-up" effect. The editing is actually not that complex at all, it's just 8th, 16th, 32 and 64th repeats and some reversing and the vox just has a mutating phaser-flanger-filter combo on it before the take-off.

The kick is a sample beefed up with some low boost layered with a second attack kick low cut a little above 1k just to get some more snap. If the kick sound actually changes after the break it has to be because the mastering treatment ie. the mix has more stuff there than earlier so the (multi)compressor-limiter etc chain effects the full mix slightly differently there(?). I hadn't noticed the difference in the end but after mastering I've only listened to it in the car and on the radio on a cheapo stereo set. But if you mean the part with the simple kick+gtr+rockdrums before the last little drop then it's the same kick but like a dB or so louder and yeah, a lot emptier mix.

If you want I can also post the arrangement to the other thread when I go the the studio tomorrow.

Cheers!

Well see, for the past 50mn I've been doing various things, working, surfing the net, getting my new connection up and running with the cable technicians, feeding my cat... and the whole time I was internally singing "I don't wanna change...". Funny, when I heard the song, I thought the hook was "I'm insane, but I'm happy"... but apparently it's not, it's "I don't wanna change".

Well anyway for sure it's got a hook!!

But if you mean the part with the simple kick+gtr+rockdrums before the last little drop then it's the same kick but like a dB louder and yeah, a lot emptier mix.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant, and that's what I thought too... it just sounds like there's more space for the kick in that part of the mix, making it stand out more... great!

I'd love to see the arrange, just curiosity ...