XML files with Chords

jmm123

I am a Finale user and I have just started with Logic Pro 10.3   Pleasantly surprised that it can now import Music XML files.

In Finale I can type in Chord symbols and have a layer that plays the chords and another layer that plays the melody notes, etc.

As a test I exported an XML file from Finale but found that only the melody and Lyrics were visible when imported into LP 10.3

1.  Is it possible for the Chords to be also imported into LP?

2. Is it possible to assign a layer or track to the Chords if it can be imported.  so that the Chords are playable as a separate track?

I also have Notion 6, Band in a Box (Mac) which can also EXPORT XML files.  the exported files all seem to behave differently when exported from various programs.

• 4 months later...
I am a Finale user and I have just started with Logic Pro 10.3   Pleasantly surprised that it can now import Music XML files.

1.  Is it possible for the Chords to be also imported into LP?

While normally I would attempt to demonstrate that Logic Pro's scoring capability is equivalent to Finale's ( having worked with both), the XML exportation and importation features within Logic are fairly new. So the full XML spec has not been implemented as of yet and unfortunately the chords cannot be imported as chords unless they are exported as Text from the source application. I suspect with each version upgrade it will improve - but for now  you will have to use Logic's "Speedy chord entry" technique to enter the chords into an already imported XML file.