I/O using Hammer 2 troubleshooting

dchaiku

Hello all. I set up a send (and corresponding bus) to my outboard EQ (A Designs Hammer 2). Worked properly. Then when I turned off the outboard unit, it still sounded as though the EQ was doing something to the tone. And it certainly was. In fact, it sounded great. It was definitely not giving the frequency changes I had set up on the EQ, but it was still doing something for certain. Why would it still be getting something out of the EQ if I physically turned the unit off? Now I know some people run a mix through this EQ without setting any EQ parameters simply to get the analog vibe this unit imparts, but why do I still get something from the EQ with the unit completely off? Now if I turn the send off (or the I/O on the bus), NOW the unit is doing nothing to the sound, which is how it should be. To troubleshoot, I changed the I/O on the bus to other outboard gear, and it all worked properly, i.e., when I turned the "new" outboard unit off, it stopped imparting anything to the track. Could this be something particular to the Hammer 2? Am I missing something very basic here in my Logic signal flow? Thanks for any help on this. 

Not sure if this will somehow make the answer (which eludes me) clear (to you, so you can enlighten me!)...I inserted the Hammer directly on the channel strip (I know, better way to handle EQ than to bus it), and it behaves perfectly. When I switch back to sending the signal to the Hammer bus, it behaves as described earlier (still doing something to the signal even when turned off).