Crashes, Overload and Disk is too slow issues

smallestleaves

Hi there - I know this type of issue has been brought up many times, so you have my apologies in advance if I've missed something - but I'm really struggling to work with my projects at the minute and I think I have tried pretty much every tip and trick that I can find in forums and videos. I am constantly getting 'System Overload' and 'Disk is too slow' error messages and the like when using Logic Pro X. This can happen when running just one track - playing around with the 'Drummer' brought an error message - simply altering the parameters etc. Using the arpeggiator on midi tracks and playing back seems to be a problem as well and just of today editing midi was very glitchy. When I copied midi instrument tracks using the Option key shortcut the copied tracks appeared to play the default electric piano instrument even when the drop down menu was another instrument. Randomly this isn't the case having tried again just now. I have also got the message when recording an electric guitar using Amp Designer a few pedals in the Pedalboard.

My current setup is as follows - I have a late 2012 Mac Mini that has 2.5GHz Intel Core i5 and I installed 16GB of RAM myself. I also transferred all Logic libraries as well as a few other libraries that I use in Kontakt over to an external SSD. I run the projects directly from the SSD as well (USB 3.0). I am using a Digidesign 002 Rack working with old drivers (could this be the source of all my issues??). I have utilised the 4 core setup in Logic's preferences and I have tried increasing and decreasing buffer size accordingly depending on whether I'm recording a live instrument or working with a software instrument. I would really appreciate some guidance on the setup I should have. What's really got me stumped is that the issue seems relatively recent - these errors did not use to come up when I first started working with Logic. I also can't see how my iPad mini seems to be able to handle more recording power using drummer tracks and an iRig guitar setup easily with no issues in GarageBand!! Strange!

Apologies if I have stated the obvious or there is a glaring omission/ obvious lack of knowledge - I am quite knew to all of this and trying to find my way!

Thanks so much in advance.

Many thanks for the reply Triplets - The issues are occurring even when Kontakt is not being used? Just today I have been working on a piece with two Logic 'Legacy' software instruments and when I went to record the second instrument I got the 'Disk too slow' message. I have previously gone through everything on the Native Instruments website to maximise Kontakt's performance. I'm guessing from your response though, that there isn't some major issue I am missing with the processing power of my machine - I shouldn't be getting these crashes with only a few software instrument tracks, right?

I haven't updated my OS X since Yosemite (10.10.5) because I had read somewhere online it would make the 002 unstable if not unusable. I am beginning to think this is what my issue is going to be isn't it?!!

Just tried built in output/input with that track and got the Disk too slow or system overload message.

Also tested built in output/ input with a track that has a few more software instruments (including Kontakt instruments) and got the following message:

Error while trying to synchronise Audio and MIDI

Sample Rate 40,627 recognized.

Check conflict between Logic Pro X and external device.

Which is strange because I used the built in I/Os and disconnected the 002?

I honestly believe these error messages will never stop happening in logic. Ive seen people with maxed out computer specs still have these sorts of problems so maybe its just logic itself.

I don't have them. So it really depends on each setup.

If everybody had these crashes and overloads, we would know about it.

If you had to take a wild guess what do you think causes some inconsistencies between logic users? From all the reading I've done on multiple forums its seems as if logic works  really well for some people but terrible for others. I know i will have to upgrade my system but I'm hesitant to drop like 3k on a new apple machine only for it to not improve performance.

I trashed the Logic Preferences file Triplets and I started a brand new project in Logic - I wanted to see how much I can do before Logic starts acting up. I selected one of the templates just to save myself a bit of time adding more software tracks etc - I picked the 'songwriter' temple. I recorded a simple guitar melody over the drums, duplicated the track, added 3 pedals (from pedal board) on each track and then recorded a Steinway piano melody (from the Logic library) - I added one more track and selected the 'Beautiful Melody' patch ( a total of 5 tracks - 2 audio, 3 software and the last added software track having had nothing recorded in it). I hit record to record some of the Beautiful Melody synth and the whole programme crashed. Got an error report to forward to Apple. I am truly stumped. Can you just confirm for me that I shouldn't be getting this low performance with my system setup? Surely I should be able to record many more tracks both audio and software before I start running into trouble? Or am I off the mark? I know it obviously depends on the amount of effects etc used on each track, but like I say - I feel I am getting more recording power out of Garageband on my iPad mini using my iRig at the minute...

I really appreciate all your help with this Triplets, thank you so much. I have a Maplin brand (a chain of electronics stores in the UK) SSD which I formatted before use (Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - But to be honest I moved everything onto the SSD as a result of getting so many error messages, so the problems predate having the SSD. In my activity monitor, one core is consistently maxing out - the far right core. When idle it is registering around 30 percent or so and hovering in and around that. That one core is the one that usually triggers the problems when it maxes out. My Logic Version is 10.2.4

If the terminal doesn't frighten you, you might try from a terminal running 'ps -el'when this is happening to see exactly what is running. I take it the usual suspects like time machine and internet accessing programs have been ruled out.

Triplets - I have tried deselecting software tracks when not recording on them. It doesn't appear to affect the core at all. rAC, I have made sure to eject my Time Machine and I've tested using Logic with wifi turned off as well - all to no avail. I'm afraid I'm not quite confident enough with terminal... yet! Thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the delay - was off the grid for a bit! Just for anyone who is interested and who this info might help - I deactivated all notifications and all extra bits and pieces in the background on my Mac Mini and it did make a considerable difference, but I am still getting pops and crackles throughout my use of Logic Pro X. Projects which have synth plugins/ Contact/ Drummer tracks etc especially. I reckon a more powerful computer is the way to go - quad core... but it is a minefield deciding on something that I know will be able to handle my requirements. I'll be dropping another post on the other topic forums to try and figure it out! Thanks again for the help guys.