discrete graphics and Logic performance

Ploki

So, I noticed that on my TC Desktop Konnekt with small buffers (128), audio sometimes stutters when i scroll around larger projects.

I also noticed that some time ago, Logic stopped tripping my Retina MacBook into Discrete GPU mode.

so I tried the same project/settings just switched to discrete GPu, and cracking/stutter disappeared.

So, to force logic into discrete GPU (mind you, this also frees shared 1,5GB of RAM from the GPU)

go into Logic Pro X.app, open info.plist and change:

"Supports Automatic Graphics" from "YES" to "NO".

That way, Logic will be tripped into discrete GPU everytime you open a project.

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly don't know. A couple of days ago I read a post on KVR from someone with a dedicated GPU, who has the same annoying "scrolling glitches" like many users with integrated GPU. Until that post I always thought only systems with integrated GPU and Retina screen were affected. That doesn't seem to be the case, though. Do you have a Retina screen? 

This seems to be a MacOS issue. I have read many posts from Cubase and Studio One users also having "scrolling glitches". Some of them installed a Bootcamp Windows partition on their Macs and didn't experience any problems with that. Unfortunately not an option for us Logic users... :-(

i didnt realize that is such a widespread issue!  mine go away at buffer 256, regardless of graphics. try that

Of course I tried that. And yes, it's slightly better with higher buffer settings (although it doesn't completely go away). However, when doing real-time recording through plugins the latency introduced with higher buffer settings is getting noticeable. 

I've never heard of discreet GPU mode. Never realized, frankly, that Macs with a discreet GPU also have integrated graphics.

So does this mean my 2015 27" iMac also features integrated graphics and that Logic may be using that instead of the AMD graphics card?

AMD is the discreet card in your case, you don't have a built-in one.

IIRC only laptops have two graphic chips, discrete usually using more power.

• 4 months later...