Tough Score Question - importing Score Sets into Fresh Files with correct inst. assignments

broza2broza

Obviously it is simple enough to import a score set into a Logic File from another session. Unfortunately the assignments within the score come up wrong which involves the tedious task, if one has a large score, of reassigning each line in the score to the correct sounding patch. I thought maybe the assignments were tied to the Instrument Number of each track. But they are not. Does anyone know a trick for importing a score set and having the correct instruments come up in the score? In other words where does the score find each of their instruments/Voices. By Track Number? In my experiments this didn't work either. Any ideas?

"In other words where does the score find each of their instruments/Voices. By Track Number?"

That IS the question. I spent about fifteen minutes testing Score Set imports. I created a brand new file and created a new Score Set for the also-newly-created software instruments 1, 2, and 3.  I saved, closed, then opened a file with my standard orchestral template and imported the Score Set just created. It rendered Trombones, Percussion, and Timpani, which are instruments (and tracks) 7, 8, and 9. It seemed like there were six of something that was offsetting the Score Set target, because Flute, Oboe, and Clarinets are instruments 1, 2,and 3 in the template. So why did an imported Score Set saved with instruments 1,2, and 3 land in the new file displaying instruments 7, 8, and 9? 

Then I created a new target file with software instruments 1 to 8. I imported the Score Set, and it targeted Instruments 1,2,and 3 as expected. I shuffled the instrument order per track. The deleted/re-imported Score Set still found 1, 2, and 3. I renamed Instrument 2. The Score Set still found it, no matter the name. Then I deleted Inst 2 and re-imported the Score Set. Two came up "No Output." Wherefore art thou, my Instrument 2?

So, here's the good part. I assigned two busses (creating 2 auxes) to Instrument 1, and when I re-imported the Score Set, I got this:

858806700_ScoreSetExamination.png.2e5da15fa6d775405e6c2d13416e0235.png

So, methinks that offset I mentioned in my first experiments were getting bumped because (I'm guessing here) I had six auxes confusing the Score Set, and it went a-looking for the "first instrument" after those auxes -- somehow disregarding the first six instruments already in place. 

Greg is really good with questions like this. Plowman poke-eth in the dark. But relative to the total number of auxes and instruments in a target file, there's some kind of a cumulative effect the way Score Sets settle on the instruments it displays. I suppose you could test this theory by deleting all auxes in a test file and seeing if your imported Score Set arrives intact. But, if you can prove that, I doubt aux deletion is worth the trouble for the sake of a Score Set import.   

I believe it's based on the order the objects were created in the destination project (environment) - if you create a track and instatiate it with say... output 3-4. - since that output is the second object created it will be assigned the second item in the score set.

Best to just create a new compete set and delete the ones you don't want - then drag and drop the remaining to determine correct ordering of instruments. Fast and easy.....

I will test to see if the score set source has any dependency - but I don't think so - only the destination

Sorrry not in front of computer

Yes you are getting closer to the answer as I did notice Auxes popping up in my imported score sets. Never met anyone who wants to score an Aux! 

However it is still confusing how to manage this. For this project at least, I certainly wouldn't mind deleting all auxes as they are not crucial and very easy to import from my standard setup AFTER the score is in order. I find hunting and assigning score instruments sooo tedious.

Thanks for your efforts on this obscure question but I can't be the only one who has been frustrated by this? :-)

Am most interested in this thread - havent tested it yet but I wonder ( based on discussions with Greg) if the following are factors which might influence whether the Score Set Import is correct or not. I am assuming that OP (broza) wants to import ready made Score Sets to a second project from an ideal 'Template': 

It seems to me that Score Sets are created from Combinations of Regions associated with a specific instrument on a specific track but dont seem to exist if the Tracks have no Regions? 

Perhaps it would  work  if from a Completed Ideal Project you make a Template Project with  all the Tracks and their Associated instruments named accurately ( no auxes master track stuff)  and each Track  with it's own  nice long piece of blank Region. Then all made up into Score Sets of different combinations of instruments ( personally I like to memorise them to different locked  Screensets but this is not considered necessary by some). 

I find that once I have finished an instrumental part or Score Set combination  it stays perfectly displayed in a locked Screenset so long as all the Link Content options are entirely switched off ( no yellow purple etc) 

Another advantage of having the Score Sets  associated with a long blank Region is that when they are displayed with Locked Screensets is that you can save all the View Options: I like always to have the following factors displayed - Margins, Guides ( Selected Notes)  and Duration (Selected Notes) and it always drives me nuts to have to recreate these options each time I make a new Score Set to assign to a Screenset.  Would be so much easier to have them all set up as regions with the correct Score Style for that instrument as a template and then cut up or alter the Regions afterwards. 

And yet another advantage of Screenset for each Score Set  Locked in this way is that you can Tab quickly between two Instruments to get  the Line Breaks looking consistent for similar instruments ( horn section etc) ... hope I am not meandering too far off topic :) 

HTH :) 

Yes HTH I agree with everything you are saying about screensets etc. What I am dealing with is a not ideal situation, where I am taking Logic files from another person who I am working with,  and would like to import into that session an orchestral template of sounds (easy), and the score sets and screensets etc, (also easy) but then have the score set actually get assigned properly to their respective instrument destinations -- this is not easy and tends not to ever work, forcing one to manually re-assign each instrument in the score set.

If you start with a template and start working from there, no matter what you do, your score set will be fine. Thanks for all the suggestions!