Trying to import WAV file into Logic...is there some trick to this?

I.M. Groot

The best way is always import from the Audio Files Window.

Hit F on the keyboard to open that window.

Control F to import. Select the files you want.

Once they copied drag the files from that window.

It's also important that before you record anything or import anything, you save the project with Audio Files included.

Otherwise they stay at the original location and don't get copied into the project.

The best way is always import from the Audio Files Window.

Hit F on the keyboard to open that window.

Control F to import. Select the files you want.

Once they copied drag the files from that window.

It's also important that before you record anything or import anything, you save the project with Audio Files included.

Otherwise they stay at the original location and don't get copied into the project.

I still get the same result: once I've dragged the file into the project, it displays not as a waveform, but as a flat line. There's no sound.

Do you know what kind of audio data is contained in that wav file? Sample rate? Bit depth? Format (PCM, Compressed...?) How many channels? 

I know some of these answers, but not all of them (not sure about the number of channels, for instance).

Do I have to know all this stuff to import a WAV file into Logic?

Is there maybe some simpler format I should use, where I can simply drag and drop the file into Logic?

Is there maybe some simpler format I should use, where I can simply drag and drop the file into Logic?

Some of those files will be compatible with Logic, but some won't. You don't have to know all that stuff to import a WAV file into Logic, but without knowing that stuff about your file, we cannot tell you if that file is compatible with Logic or not. For example, if your WAV file is 32 bit floating point, Logic will not recognize it.

The simplest and most widespread production format is 1 or 2 channels PCM 44.1kHz or 48kHz, 24 bits. That PCM audio data can be contained in a WAV, AIF or CAF file (it doesn't matter).

Some of those files will be compatible with Logic, but some won't. You don't have to know all that stuff to import a WAV file into Logic, but without knowing that stuff about your file, we cannot tell you if that file is compatible with Logic or not. For example, if your WAV file is 32 bit floating point, Logic will not recognize it.

The simplest and most widespread production format is 1 or 2 channels PCM 44.1kHz or 48kHz, 24 bits. That PCM audio data can be contained in a WAV, AIF or CAF file (it doesn't matter).

Gotcha. Well, here's the info I have about this file:

Sample rate: 44.100 kHz

Bit rate: 2,822 kbps

32 bit

Size 3.3 MB

I created the sound file with Presonus Notion, exported it as a WAV file, and opened it in iTunes. I clicked on "Get Info" to get the info above.

I'm afraid I don't know what kind of audio data it is, the sample rate, the bit depth, the format, or the number of channels--though I'm more than happy to get that information, if you would kindly point me to a resource that shows how to find it.

Obviously I'm a noob to a lot of this stuff...sorry for the beginner's questions, but thanks a lot for your help.

Why doesn't Logic support 32 bit audio files?

The feature has just never been implemented. Hopefully it will in the future.

And whats the best way to convert it to 24 bit?

Drag and drop a 32 bit floating point audio file onto the Tracks area and Logic will create a 24 bit copy of the audio file. If that doesn't work, try opening it in QuickTime and re-exporting as 24 bit?

Why doesn't Logic support 32 bit audio files?

The feature has just never been implemented. Hopefully it will in the future.

And whats the best way to convert it to 24 bit?

Drag and drop a 32 bit floating point audio file onto the Tracks area and Logic will create a 24 bit copy of the audio file. If that doesn't work, try opening it in QuickTime and re-exporting as 24 bit?

Or drop all the 32 bit Samples files into Logic and make a map for the converted 24 bit audio file samples.

Or drop all the 32 bit Samples files into Logic and make a map for the converted 24 bit audio file samples.

No need to make a map, Logic sees you try to import a 32b file, converts it to 24b on the fly and uses the 24b automatically (since it cannot read the 32b one).

Thats Nice :D.