Setting up 1-key midi loops in Logic

Radiussound

Hi, 

Is it possible to assign a midi loop to any key or drumpad on my midi-keyboard?

For instance: Assigning a midi loop to key C1 on my midi-keyboard. So when I press C1 the loop is being played/recorded and the moment I release the C1 loop the midi loops stops playing.

I make a lot of music using orchestral sounds and when a part is being played an x-amout of milliseconds earlier or later it changes the 'musical feel' a lot.

I can also move midi regions left and right in the main-window. I just makes my workflow more easy if I can play my own made midi regions with just 1 key on the keyboard.

Thanks.

What are you looping?  You can use the step sequencer within ultrabeat to achieve that, if the source material you're wanting to loop fits within the refines of the ultrabeat sound engine.  (i.e. are these samples?  Or is it a virtual instrument you want to trigger?)

If it's another virtual instrument then ultrabeat cannot send out it's midi data to other tracks, so other than that you'd be looking at using Midi FX Arpeggiator, but that would limit you to one custom midi loop, which will be VERY limited as to what you can program within the arpeggiator however.

Final option as i see it, would be to create something in the environment , i.e. using Touch Tracks

https://9to5mac.com/2015/11/22/the-logic-pros-how-to-environment-touch-tracks/

I think touch tracks would be the most flexible, but somewhat more convoluted way of achieving what you want.

redgreenblue wrote:

It works with anything instrument related. I added a channel splitter to it so that I can have 16 different things going on at once if I want. David's method (here) has a downloadable environment that is a good stDo you have any idea where I can find information on how to set David's method up in the environment?arting point. I'll try to get my environment uploaded soon. 

Redgreenblue,

Great! I have tried it and it worked.

2 questions:

1 - How can I import the settings from David's setup into a new Template? 

2 - How can I change the C-1 - C#1 in octaves up/down? And I noticed when I place a midi region on C-1 in screenset 2, it is actually heard when I play C1 on my keyboard. I was expecting to hear it when I play C-1 on my keyboard.  I like to fix this.

I use the lower octaves like C-1, C0 with chord trigger and want to use David's method with the upper octaves.

You cut and paste the objects from one project to another so create an empty Environment page and copy the stuff to that. 

There is an object in that template that is transposing everything down two octaves. you can delete/disable that if that works for you.

One neat thing you can do is assign different elements of the loop to the different keys and then you can change it up on the fly. And adding a channel splitter will let you address different instruments. 

You cut and paste the objects from one project to another so create an empty Environment page and copy the stuff to that. 

There is an object in that template that is transposing everything down two octaves. you can delete/disable that if that works for you.

Thanks for this information!

Do you also use multi's with this setup?

I loaded a multiple cellos in Kontakt as a multi instrument and used different layers. I made a folder of it all and placed the folder on C-1. When I hit the C-1 button on my midi keyboard I heard only 1 cello-layer (the first loaded cello in Kontakt. Do you think it is possible to use this setup with multi instruments?

Thanks for this information!

Do you also use multi's with this setup?

I loaded a multiple cellos in Kontakt as a multi instrument and used different layers. I made a folder of it all and placed the folder on C-1. When I hit the C-1 button on my midi keyboard I heard only 1 cello-layer (the first loaded cello in Kontakt. Do you think it is possible to use this setup with multi instruments?

I do use it with multi instruments, you just have to have the channels and cables set properly. 

I do use it with multi instruments, you just have to have the channels and cables set properly. 

I am looking forward to see your environment!  Making soo much progress with this workflow! It is great!

Twice I copied a midi region in screens 1, went to screens 2 and pasted. Somehow I copied wrong, I copied the whole of screenset 1 onto screenset 2 with the result that screenset 2 was gone. When I pressed CMD-Z it did not come back. This happened only twice and I like to know what I can do when it happens again.

How can I get screenset 2 back when this happens again? And how can I transfer the blue object  that starts with C-1 and ends with A#0 (in the environment) to a screenset so that I have a result like screenset 2?

I use logic for many years and I don't know much about setting up cables and objects like in the environment.

Do you think you can learn me how to set up the Note on Pattern Toggle with a Kontakt Multi?

Thanks in advance!

I spend some time with this environment and found my way around. :)

For I like to know in which layer in the environment I have to place the channel splitter, and to/between which object(s) I have to cable the channel splitter.

Going to post some questions in the other topic about this.

Thanks so far.